Secretary: Stephania BeljungPatrick Murphy
Secretary tel: 020 7188 7727
Secretary email: Stephania.Beljung@gstt.nhs.uk
Area of expertise: chronic respiratory failure, non-invasive ventilation, sleep disordered breathing
Dr Murphy was appointed a consultant at the Lane Fox Respiratory Unit, Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital in 2014 and was recently appointed clinical lead for the service in 2020. The Lane Fox Unit is an internationally recognised centre for weaning from prolonged mechanical ventilation and management of home mechanical ventilation.
He completed a PhD studying respiratory physiology in acute and chronic respiratory failure secondary to COPD and obesity and was appointed a reader in respiratory medicine at King’s College London in 2019. He has presented primary research data at international conferences and has been awarded travel grants by both the European Respiratory Society and American Thoracic Society.
His research interests involve respiratory physiology and respiratory support in acute and chronic respiratory failure which has led to publications of physiological and clinical trial data in leading respiratory and general medicine journals. He has contributed to both national and international guidelines in the field of management of respiratory complications of sickle cell and obesity related respiratory failure.
Education and training
- PhD, 2014
BSc (Hons), 1999
- Chronic respiratory failure
- Non-invasive ventilation
- Sleep medicine
- Physiology of chronic respiratory failure
- Mechanisms of action of non-invasive ventilation
- Clinical trials in non-invasive ventilation in chronic respiratory failure in obesity and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- International Travel Grant - critical care - American Thoracic Society Symposium (2011)
- Travel Grant - NIV and critical care - European Respiratory Society Symposium (2010).