SLauren Uppal photoecretary: Batool Mukhtar
Secretary telephone: 020 7188 5130
Area of expertise: hand and wrist surgery, upper limb reconstruction and general plastic surgery
Languages spoken: English
Lauren Uppal is a consultant plastic surgeon at St Thomas’ Hospital. Following her plastic surgery training in London, she underwent further subspecialty training in fellowships, including complex trauma, microsurgery and peripheral nerve reconstruction at the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine, paediatric plastic and hand surgery at Great Ormond St and aesthetic surgery at The Wellington. After obtaining fellowship status at the Royal College of Surgeons, she was also awarded the European Board of Hand Surgery diploma and became a consultant in 2014.
Lauren is the clinical lead for the hand Surgery department. She is committed to improving safety and outcomes following surgery. She has pioneered a new 'wide awake surgery' service and led the design and build of the new hand unit. This has improved the safety of many operations and improved care pathways for hand surgery patients.
She is passionate about training the next generation of surgeons and is the course director for cadaveric dissection courses for surgeons and hand therapists. She teaches at the Royal College of Surgeons, the Royal Society of Medicine and is on the invited faculty of several plastic surgery courses. She has many publications in journals and textbooks and has presented her work internationally.
Education and training
- European Board of Hand Surgery Diploma 2014
- FRCS(Plast): Royal College of Surgeons of England 2012
- MRCS: Royal College of Surgeons of England 2006
- MBChB: University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand 2001
- Peripheral nerve reconstruction
- Nerve transfers and tendon transfers
- Joint replacement in the hand
- Microsurgical reconstruction
- Nerve regeneration biology
- Joint replacement engineering