Secretary: Karen Richards
Tel: 020 7188 5137
Areas of expertise: facial palsy, head and neck cancer reconstruction.
William Townley joined Guy's and St Thomas' as a consultant in 2014. Prior to this appointment, he worked as a consultant in British Columbia, Canada.
He is a core member of both the facial palsy and head and neck cancer multi-disciplinary meetings (groups of doctors, nurses and other health professionals, working together to provide the best possible care). He trained in Oxford and undertook further specialist training in Toronto (head and neck, breast).
He has a particular interest in corrective surgery for facial paralysis and has gained experience across several international units (London, Toronto, Boston).
Education and training
- Clare College, Cambridge (pre-clinical medicine, 1995-1998)
- Brasenose College, Oxford (clinical medicine, 1998-2001)
- Imperial College London (basic surgical training, 2002-2004)
- RAFT Institute / University College London (MD research degree, 2005-2007)
- Oxford (plastic surgery rotation, 2007-2012)
- University of Toronto (microsurgery fellowship, 2012-2013).
- facial palsy
- head and neck cancer reconstruction
- breast and body contouring
- secondary facial reconstruction – trauma, scarring, lipodystrophy, asymmetry
- nasal reconstruction.
- facial palsy
- effect of radiotherapy on free flap reconstruction.
- Harry Morton Fellowship Award
- Royal College of Surgeons of England Research Award
- Journal of Hand Surgery Prize.