Secretary: Glenise De Oliveira
Secretary tel: 020 7188 1543
Fax: 020 7188 5646
Area of expertise: transplantation
Nicos Kessaris undertook his specialist registrar training in general surgery and transplantation at the London Deanery. He spent his last two years of training at Guy's and St Thomas' as well as Hammersmith Hospitals.
He worked at St George's renal transplant unit as a consultant between 2007 and 2012. During this period he established the ABO and HLA incompatible transplant programs.
Nicos has been at Guy's and St Thomas' since April 2012. He is currently involved in renal, pancreas as well as paediatric transplantation. He also participates in vascular access and peritoneal dialysis surgery.
- ESOT 2009 Young Investigator Award - European Society for Organ Transplantation, Paris, September 2009.
- Live donor kidney transplantation
- Hand-assisted retroperitoneoscopic live donor nephrectomy
- ABO and HLA incompatible transplantation.
Nicos set up a multicentre study to investigate patients' views on kidney allocation in the UK.
He is also interested in the role of sCD30 in kidney, pancreas and antibody incompatible transplantation using ELISA.
Previous work involved assessing the incidence and risk factors for developing cancer after transplantation using data from the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), USA.
- Adrian Tanner Prize, surgery section, Royal Society of Medicine, 2013
- ESOT 2009 Young Investigator Award, European Society for Organ Transplantation, Paris, September 2009
- e-poster of distinction, Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, Glasgow, May 2009
- e-poster of distinction, Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, Bournemouth, May 2008.