Secretary: Masud Miah
Secretary tel: 020 7188 0243
Secretary email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise: kidney cancer, retroperitoneal fibrosis, open and minimally invasive urological surgery
Archie Fernando was appointed as a consultant at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital in 2015.
She qualified from Cambridge University and University College London.
Archie is trained in both open and robotic-assisted surgery; and specialises in renal and testis cancer, and retroperitoneal fibrosis (RPF). She is a high volume surgeon in minimally invasive kidney and retroperitoneal surgery. She also performs surgery for very large kidney tumours and those that have grown into the major vessels in the body.
Archie introduced robotic-assisted ureterolysis for the treatment of ureteric obstruction from retroperitoneal fibrosis. She is a faculty trainer at the Wet Lab training centre in Denmark, which helps surgeons from all over the world develop their surgical skills.
Education and training
- MA (first class honours), Cambridge University
- MBBS (distinction), University College London
- FRCS (Urol), Royal College of Surgeons
- MSc, University College London
- Renal cancer – open, laparoscopic and robotic-assisted radical and partial nephrectomy including for cancers extending into blood vessels
- Retroperitoneal fibrosis – medical and surgical management; robotic-assisted ureterolysis
- Testis cancer - open and robotic-assisted retroperitoneal lymph node dissection
- Upper tract reconstructive surgery – robotic-assisted and laparoscopic pyeloplasty / ureteric re-implantation
- Adrenal tumours – robotic-assisted adrenalectomy
- Best study abstract, European Association of Urology
- Best in session, British Association of Urological Surgeons
- South Thames urology prize
- Malcolm Copcoat Prize, Royal Society of Medicine
- Best in session, European Association of Urology
- Geoffrey Chisholm communication prize, Royal Society of Medicine
- Senior exhibition prizes, Cambridge University Commonwealth grant, Cambridge University