Secretary: Masud Miah
Secretary tel: 020 7188 0243
Secretary email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise: kidney cancer, retroperitoneal fibrosis, open and minimally invasive urological surgery
Archie Fernando was appointed as a consultant at Guy’s and St Thomas' Hospital in 2015.
Her sub-specialist interests include retroperitoneal fibrosis, renal cancer and testis cancer. She is trained in both open and minimally invasive (keyhole) surgery, and she has introduced robotic ureterolysis for the treatment of ureteric obstruction from retroperitoneal fibrosis.
Archie is the clinical lead for testis cancer and has implemented a protocol for fertility testing and fertility preservation for patients with testis cancer. She is also the audit/governance lead for urology. She is part of the faculty for the robotic and laparoscopic wet lab international training program in Aalborg, Denmark.
Education and training
- MSc University College London, 2015
- FRCS (Urol) Royal College of Surgeons, 2014
- MBBS University College London, 2006
- First Class Honours, Cambridge University, 2003.
- Renal cancer – open, laparoscopic and robotic surgery
- Retroperitoneal fibrosis – medical and surgical management; robotic ureterolysis
- Testis cancer
- Upper tract transitional cell cancer – robotic and laparoscopic nephro-ureterectomy
- Upper tract reconstructive surgery – robotic and laparoscopic pyeloplasty.
- Best Abstract by a Resident, European Association of Urology, third prize, 2016
- British Association of Urological Surgeons, best paper in session, 2015
- South Thames Urology Meeting, second prize, 2015
- Malcolm Copcoat Prize, Royal Society of Medicine, runner-up, 2015
- European Association of Urology Annual Congress, three best in sessions, 2015
- Geoffrey Chisholm Communication Prize, Royal Society of Medicine, second prize, 2014
- South Thames Urology Meeting, first prize, 2013
- British Association of Urological Surgeons, best of BAUS (poster), 2011
- South Thames Urology Meeting, first prize, 2011