Secretary: Patrick Tall
Secretary email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 020 7188 6796
Area of expertise: robotic and laparoscopic urology
Ben Challacombe was appointed to Guy's and St Thomas' in 2010 following his fellowship in Australia. He is the assistant clinical lead for urology and MDM cancer lead for all urological maligancies.
His areas of interest are benign and malignant prostate disease and minimally invasive surgery for the upper urological tract.
Ben is the highest volume surgeon for robotic partial nephrectomy in the UK (over 600 cases) and also specialises in robotic radical prostatectomy, and robotic surgery for nephro-ureterectomy, pyeloplasty, adrenalectomy and nephrectomy, and Holmium laser prostatectomy (HoLEP). Overall Ben has performed over 2000 robotic procedures and 1000 HoLEPS.
He is the Trust lead for clinical robotics, runs the International robotic fellowship programme and teaches robotics and HoLEP at the British and European and World Annual Urology meetings.
Ben is also involved in the academic and research programmes within the department. He has a Certificate in Postgraduate Education and is involved with both undergraduate and postgraduate urological teaching. He has been the Guy’s and St Thomas' surgical tutor for junior surgeons.
Education and training
- Clinical Fellowship in Urological Oncology including robotics and laparoscopy – Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia, 2008-2009
- Master of Surgery (MS) degree in telemedicine and telerobotics, 2002-2003
- BSc (hons) in clinical anatomy and wound healing, 1995
- MBBS (hons) – United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals, 1992-1998
Robotic partial nephrectomy
Robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy
Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP)
Robotic nephro-ureterectomy and nephrectomy
Dynamic prostate brachytherapy
- Over 230 peer reviewed papers on the US National Library of Medicine, PubMed
- h-Index 33, RG - Score 48.7
- Over 400 international poster and podium presentations
- 15 book chapters and edited three books (Diagnostic Urology, Small Renal masses, The Big Prostate)
- Urology Editor Gray's Surgical Anatomy