Paul Cathcart, consultant urological surgeon
Secretary: Linda Boorman
Tel: 020 7188 7338
Area of expertise: prostate cancer diagnostics and management, robotic surgery including salvage robotic radical prostatectomy, general urology, clinical trials.
Paul is a consultant urological surgeon at Guy's Hospital having been head-hunted from University College Hospital London. Paul specialises in the management of prostate cancer and is one of the highest volume robotic prostate cancer surgeons in the UK performing over 100 robotic prostate cancer surgeries each year. Paul's particular clinical focus includes nerve-sparing robotic radical prostatectomy, radical prostatectomy for high-risk prostate cancer and salvage-robotic radical prostatectomy – robotic prostate removal for recurrent cancer.
Paul is the clinical co-ordinator for the National Prostate Cancer Audit and the chief investigator in a number of clinical trials including the PRIME study 'a study assessing intraoperative PET imaging during robotic prostate cancer surgery, the RAFT study' a trial assessing the efficacy and safety of salvage robotic prostate cancer surgery after focal therapy as well as the PROVENT study 'a trial assessing the efficacy of Vitamin D and aspirin to prevent prostate cancer progression in men on active surveillance for low risk prostate cancer'.
Education and training
- MBBS - St. Georges Hospital Medical School London - 2000
- MD – University of London - 2008
- FRCS(Urol) - 2009
- Fellowship in Uro-oncology and Robotic surgery – Royal Melbourne Hospital and Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Melbourne Australia – 2010
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Academic Clinical Lecturer – University College London – 2009
- Specialist Registrar Training – 2006-2009
- Prostate cancer – diagnostics and management
- General urology