Department of oral medicine
22nd floor, Guy's Tower
Great Maze Pond
London SE1 9RT
Oral medicine secretary tel:
020 7188 4399
Please note: you may also be interested in our oral medicine for health professionals section.
We accept referrals from the local catchment area of Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham. We also have a large tertiary referral practice and are happy to see patients from all over the UK and other countries.
We accept referrals for the following problems:
- persistent or recurrent oral ulcers
- lichen planus and blistering oral conditions
- soft tissue lumps and swellings of the oral cavity and neck
- white and red patches
- pigmented patches
- sore lips or mouth
- persistent facial pain and burning mouth symptoms
- dry mouth, hypersalivation and other salivary gland diseases
- bad breath not related to periodontal disease
- allergies and adverse reactions to dental materials
- allergies and adverse reactions to local anaesthetics
- orofacial granulomatosis.
Making a referral
New patient referrals
We accept referrals from dentists, GPs and other hospital specialists. All referral letters are vetted as soon as they are received to assess whether the patient is to be given a routine or urgent appointment, and to choose the most suitable clinic for the patient's condition. Please provide as much information as possible to help us.
If you wish to refer a patient as an emergency or if you are unsure whether a referral should be seen urgently, please contact our secretary on 020 7188 4399.
Two week wait referrals
These should be used for patients with suspected malignancy only and are directed to the head and neck cancer service. Patients with other urgent problems should be referred to the oral medicine department marked urgent.
To refer via the two-week wait office, please call 020 7188 0921 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NHS e-Referral Service
- National number: 0845 608 8888
- NHS e-Referral Service office at Guy's and St Thomas': 020 7188 0823/6.
Referrals to combined clinics
Referrals are accepted from GDPs/GPs and other hospital consultants using the procedure for new referrals above. We run the following clinics:
- oral medicine and dermatology
- oral medicine and gastroenterology
- oral medicine and children’s dentistry
- dysplasia clinic
- Sjögren’s syndrome clinic with rheumatology
- Behçet's disease clinic with rheumatology and ophthalmology (at St Thomas' hospital)
- persistent facial pain with clinical psychology
To check a new patient appointment please call 020 7188 1772.
To contact us regarding a follow-up appointment, please call 020 7188 4343.