Dental services


Making a referral

We accept referrals from:

  • general dental practitioners (GDPs) 
  • GPs

We also accept self-referrals for people who want to receive free routine dental care from undergraduate students.

When referring a patient, include any relevant X-rays taken within the last 12 months (with the date taken visible). All X-rays must have the following visible on or underneath each X-ray when printed:

  • patient's name
  • patient's date of birth
  • exposure date and side of mouth (left or right)

Without this information the referral will be sent back. Our X-ray departments are very busy. A patient's visit can be quicker if they do not need X-rays.

GP referrals

GPs must use the NHS e-Referral Service (e-RS). Both our Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine services are available for referral via e-RS.

Dentist and consultant referrals

Oral surgery

The dental teams in south east London (Guy's and St Thomas' and King's College Hospitals) are working together to manage referrals to oral surgery through a single point of access, including emergency and routine patients.

Please complete the south east London oral surgery referral form to refer any oral surgery patient.

You can choose between:

  • Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
  • King's College Hospital
  • Queen Mary's Hospital in Sidcup or
  • the shortest wait time

If you choose the shortest wait time, your patient will be given the nearest available appointment at either Guy's and St Thomas' or King's College Hospitals.

All other specialities

Please complete the dental consultant referral form if you'd like to refer a patient to any other speciality. The form and any attachments will be sent to us by email.

We prefer all standard referrals (excluding pan-London endodontic referrals) to be completed this way.

If you're unable to use the online form, please complete the dental referral form and email it to us.

Please do not use this form for oral surgery referrals as we won't accept it.

All referrals must be sent from an email account.

Endodontics referrals

If you're a London GDP and referring your patient for endodontics, please use the pan-London endodontic referral form.

Children's dental service referrals

For children's referrals, please visit the Evelina London Children's Hospital website.

2-week wait (2WW) referrals

If you're referring a patient for a suspected cancer, please complete the south east London head and neck referral form

Urgent referrals

If your referral is urgent, please state this on the referral form when you make your referral to us. We'll offer an appointment based on clinical need and urgency.

Last updated: January 2023

Is this page useful?