We’re delighted to give students on undergraduate midwifery programmes the opportunity to undertake an elective placement with us.
These elective placements are offered during April to May, September and in December for a one to two week period. Places are limited and availability depends on the demand from our partner university Kings College London, as our hosted students take priority.
Type of learning opportunities
We are able to offer elective students placements in our Home from Home Birth Centre (low risk care), Hospital Birth Centre (high risk care), Postnatal Ward, Antenatal Ward, Antenatal Day Unit, Fetal Medicine Unit (FMU), Antenatal Clinic, in the community setting or with one of our caseload teams.
Information about applications
- Applications for a two week placement from Monday 10 December 2018, open for four weeks from Monday 17 September to Sunday 14 October 2018.
- Applications for a two week placement from Monday 29 April 2019, open for four weeks from Monday 12 November to Sunday 9 December 2018,
- Applications for a two week placement from Monday 2 September 2019, open for four weeks from Monday 14 January to Sunday 10 February 2019.
Elective applications are reviewed by our midwifery education team. The applications are made anonymous and are marked separately by two panel members. The decision of the panel is final. Applicants will be notified within two weeks of the closing date of the outcome. Unsuccessful applicants may request feedback and are welcome to re-apply in the next round.
Successful applicants will be made a provisional offer that will be subject to a placement agreement being arranged with the host university.
How do I apply?
For midwifery electives, please complete the midwifery electives application form (Word 72Kb).
Please email your completed application form to Danielle Nixon at email@example.com.
Please note completing the form does not guarantee you a placement.
If you are offered a place and you do not wish to accept, please inform Danielle Nixon immediately.
Successful applicants are welcome to apply for hospital accommodation however places are limited and hospital staff are prioritised.
If you would like to make an enquiry about cost and availability, please contact the accommodation office.
- Guy's Hospital: tel 020 7188 0440
- St Thomas' Hospital: tel 020 7188 0276