Amir A Darakhshan
Consultant colorectal and general surgeon
Amir Darakhshan is a consultant colorectal and general surgeon specialising in the management of inflammatory bowel disease, pelvic floor disorders and hernia repair with an expertise in laparoscopic surgery.
Graduating from King’s College Hospital London, he received his surgical training in London and the South East of England, with specialist colorectal training at:
- the Concord Repatriation General Hospital in Sydney
- St Thomas’ Hospital
- University College Hospital
- King’s College Hospital
- St Mark’s Hospital in London
He is also a member of the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland and the Pelvic Floor Society.
His thesis at the Royal London Hospital looked at the use of the Gracilis Neosphincter in the treatment of incontinence. He has published on general surgical, colorectal and pelvic floor disorders.
Education and training
- Doctor of medicine (MD)
- Bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery (MBBS)
- Fellowship of the royal college of surgeons of England (general surgery) (FRCS (Gen))
Correlates and outcomes of tumour adherence in resected colonic and rectal cancers. Darakhshan A, Lin BP, Chan C, Chapuis PH, Dent OF, Bokey L. Ann Surg. 2008 Apr;247(4):650-8.
Postpartum spontaneous colonic perforation due to antiphospholipid syndrome. Ahmed K, Darakhshan A, Au E, Khamashta MA, Katsoulis IE. World J Gastroenterol. 2009 Jan 28;15(4):502-5.
The Colorectal Development Unit: impact on functional outcome for the electrically stimulated gracilis neoanal sphincter. Saunders JR, Darakhshan AA, Eccersley AJ, Lee JE, Allison ME, Lunniss PJ, Williams NS. Colorectal Dis. 2006 Jan;8(1):46-55.
Recent innovations in the management of faecal incontinence. Darakhshan AA, Williams NS. Semin Pediatr Surg. 2002 May;11(2):83-90. Review.
Comparison of epineural or intramuscular nerve electrodes for stimulated graciloplasty. Konsten J, Rongen MJ, Ogunbiyi OA, Darakhshan A, Baeten CG, Williams NS. Dis Colon Rectum. 2001 Apr;44(4):581-6.
Secretary name: Rahan Miah
Phone: 020 7188 2573
- Inflammatory bowel disease: surgical management of ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease
- Hernia: Laparoscopic and open groin (inguinal, femoral), ventral and incisional repairs
- Pelvic floor disorders: rectal evacuatory dysfunction, faecal incontinence, sacral nerve stimulation, stapled transanal resection of the rectum (STARR) procedure, posterior and ventral rectopexy and enterocoele repairs and bowel dysmotility
- Coloproctology: rectal bleed, anal fissures, haemorrhoids, pilonidal sinus disease
- Endoscopy: colonoscopy and OGD ovarian cancer
- Cancers with breast cancer (BRCA) defective tumours.
Amir Darakhshan also has an interest in training and is the deputy director for simulation and the surgical simulation lead.
Last updated: September 2022