Professor of vascular surgery
Bijan Modarai qualified from the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals in 1998 and trained on the London south east Thames rotation.
He obtained a PhD in 2006 and completed his higher surgical training as an NIHR academic clinical lecturer, spending a year as an endovascular fellow at The Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney.
Since his appointment as consultant vascular and endovascular surgeon at Guy's and St Thomas' in 2011, Mr Modarai has co-managed the largest UK practice in complex (branched and fenestrated) endovascular aortic repairs.
Bijan is a council member of The British Society for Endovascular Therapy and The Society of Academic and Research Surgery. He is also a member of the London Vascular Specialist Training Committee.
Bijan is currently funded by the British Heart Foundation to direct a programme of research aimed at developing novel therapeutic, diagnostic and preventative strategies for patients with critical limb ischaemia.
His research programme, in partnership with national and international collaborators, focuses on:
- angiogenesis in tissue remodeling
- angiogenic cell therapies
- the use of biomaterials to enhance cell therapy
- novel imaging techniques applied to vascular disease.
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis Young Investigator Award (2005)
- The Patey Prize (2007)
- British Heart Foundation Intermediate Clinical Research Fellowship (2011)
- British Heart Foundation postgraduate symposium prize (2012)
- Presidents Early Career Award (Circulation Foundation, 2013).
Find a list of Bijan Modarai's publications on KCL PURE.
Secretary: Veronica Akinpelumi
Secretary tel: 020 7188 4304
Please send referrals to: [email protected]
Languages spoke: English, Farsi and French
Areas of expertise: vascular and endovascular surgery
Complex endovascular intervention, including repair of the thoracic, abdominal and thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms.
Last updated: April 2022