Professor of vascular surgery
Bijan Modarai was appointed as consultant vascular and endovascular surgeon at Guy's and St Thomas' in 2011. He has co-managed the largest UK practice in complex (branched and fenestrated) endovascular aortic repairs.
Bijan is a council member of The British Society for Endovascular Therapy and The Society of Academic and Research Surgery. He is also a member of the London Vascular Specialist Training Committee.
Education and training
- Higher surgical training as an NIHR academic clinical lecturer
- PhD, 2006
- Graduated from the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals, 1998
Bijan is currently funded by the British Heart Foundation to direct a programme of research aimed at developing novel therapeutic, diagnostic and preventative strategies for patients with critical limb ischaemia.
His research programme, in partnership with national and international collaborators, focuses on:
- angiogenesis in tissue remodeling
- angiogenic cell therapies
- the use of biomaterials to enhance cell therapy
- novel imaging techniques applied to vascular disease
- Presidents Early Career Award, Circulation Foundation, 2013
- British Heart Foundation postgraduate symposium prize, 2012
- British Heart Foundation Intermediate Clinical Research Fellowship, 2011
- The Patey Prize, 2007
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis Young Investigator Award, 2005
Find a list of Bijan Modarai's publications on KCL PURE.
Secretary: Veronica Akinpelumi
Phone: 020 7188 4304
- Complex endovascular intervention, including repair of the thoracic, abdominal and thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms
Last updated: January 2023