Ophthalmology (eye) consultant
Ian Rodrigues has a passion for information technology and is a member of:
- the OpenEyes Foundation design authority
- the OpenEyes Foundation glaucoma subspeciality clinical group
- the Royal College of Ophthalmologists informatics and audit subcommittee.
Ian has worked for the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, supporting the development of a national guideline.
He has also worked for the International Consortium for Health Outcomes Measurement where he developed an international set of standardised patient outcome measures for macular degeneration, which is one of the leading causes of blindness.
He has worked as a specialist professional advisor for the Care Quality Commission and is a member of the Professional Records Standards Body advisory board.
Ian is also involved in teaching and training medical students and junior ophthalmologists. He is a member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists microsurgical skills faculty and an examiner for the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow.
Education and training
- Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow, 2018
- Fellowship of the European Board of Ophthalmology subspeciality glaucoma, 2015
- Value-Based health care intensive seminar, Harvard Business School
- Postgraduate certificate in medical leadership, University of Lancaster, 2014
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, 2013
- Ophthalmic specialist training, including advanced specialist training in glaucoma, London
- Medicine and surgery, (MBBS) King's College London, 2006
- BSc triple distinction and first-class honours, King's College London, 2003
Surgical treatment of glaucoma
- Dermot Pearse Prize, Royal Society of Medicine, 2011
- Dr Joseph Taylor Scholarship, Christian Blind Mission, 2005
- Wellcome Trust Vacation Scholarship, 2003
- Scholarship, The Health Foundation, 2002
Ian has over 25 peer reviewed publications. He has also authored national and international guidelines and regularly presents at international conferences and clinical educational sessions.
Email: [email protected]
- Diagnosis, investigation and treatment of glaucoma, including laser treatments and surgical procedures
- Phacoemulsification (cataract surgery)
- Intraocular lens implants for cataracts
Last updated: March 2023