Consultant thoracic surgeon
Lawrence Okiror is a consultant thoracic surgeon at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust. He trained in cardiothoracic surgery in London, at Royal Brompton Hospital and Guy's Hospital, and the West Midlands.
His areas of expertise include minimally-invasive surgery (robotic and VATS), radical surgery for mesothelioma and resection of advanced thoracic malignancies. He leads the central airways service at the Trust and works closely with colleagues to manage some of the most complex airway problems.
He is the service lead for lung volume reduction and offers both surgery and endobronchial therapies for advanced emphysema.
He has a strong interest in education and training and is involved in teaching and supervising work experience students, medical students at King's College London and cardiothoracic surgical and respiratory trainees. He is a regular faculty member of various national courses in cardiothoracic surgery and respiratory medicine.
Education and training
- MBChB Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda, 2004
- Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons, 2009
- Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons, 2018
- Certificate of completion of training (CCT) in cardiothoracic surgery, 2019
- Joint RCS and NIAA Perioperative Care Systematic Reviews joint recipient of grant, 2014
- Best poster prize at Society for cardiothoracic surgery in the United Kingdom, 2014
Lawrence has published over 30 peer-reviewed papers in leading journals in thoracic surgery and authored a number of book chapters in reference textbooks in thoracic surgery.
- Robotic and VATS (keyhole) chest surgery
- Surgery for advanced lung cancer, thymoma
- Central airway interventions (interventional bronchoscopy, airway stenting, laser, cryotherapy)
- Lung volume reduction (surgery and endobronchial valves)
- Surgery for chest wall abnormalities (pectus deformities, rare chest wall tumours)
- Surgery for pneumothorax including catamenial pneumothorax
Last updated: April 2022