Consultant thoracic surgeon
Lawrence Okiror is a consultant thoracic surgeon at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust.
He leads the central airways service at Guy's and St Thomas' and works closely with colleagues to manage some of the most complex airway problems.
He is the service lead for lung volume reduction and offers both surgery and endobronchial therapies for advanced emphysema.
He has a strong interest in education and training and is involved in teaching and supervising work experience students, medical students at King's College London and cardiothoracic surgical and respiratory trainees. He is a regular faculty member of various national courses in cardiothoracic surgery and respiratory medicine.
Education and training
- Certificate of completion of training (CCT) in cardiothoracic surgery, 2019
- Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons, 2018
- Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons, 2009
- Cardiothoracic surgery training, London and the West Midlands
- Medicine and surgery (MBChB), Makerere University, Uganda, 2004
- Joint perioperative care systematic reviews grant, Royal College of Surgeons and National Institute of Academic Anaesthesia, 2014
- Best poster prize, Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland, 2014
Lawrence has published over 30 peer-reviewed papers in leading journals in thoracic surgery. He has written a number of book chapters in reference textbooks on thoracic surgery.
Secretary: Katie Farrant
Secretary phone: 020 7188 0952
Secretary email: [email protected] or [email protected]
- Robotic and VATS (keyhole) chest surgery
- Surgery for advanced lung cancer
- Central airway interventions
- Lung volume reduction
- Surgery for chest wall abnormalities
- Surgery for pneumothorax, including catamenial pneumothorax
Last updated: January 2023