Thoracic surgery

We specialise in chest surgery to treat health problems, including:

  • lung cancer, we're one of the largest lung cancer practices in the country
  • cancer of the lining around the lung (mesothelioma)
  • cancer from elsewhere in the body (lung metastases)
  • lung collapse due to air (pneumothorax), fluid (pleural effusion) or infection (empyema)

You'll have a chest X-ray or CT scan to identify any problems.

Our most common operations are video-assisted thoracoscopy (VATS). This is a form of keyhole surgery and removes part, or all, of the lung.

We also diagnose and treat other chest problems, such as mediastinal tumours, cysts and infections.

We run outreach clinics, where you may see one of our thoracic surgeons locally, these take place in:

  • Reading
  • Ashford
  • Brighton
  • Canterbury
  • Medway
  • Maidstone


On the day of your surgery, you'll go to either:

Our consultants

Leanne Ashrafian

Andrea Bille

Karen Harrison-Phipps

Juliet King 

Lawrence Okiror

John Pilling

Tom Routledge

Research and clinical trials

Research is vital to improving the care that you receive when you're unwell. You can help improve healthcare by taking part in research studies at our Trust. During your appointment, ask your health professional about research. They'll be happy to tell you about research studies you could be eligible to join.

We're 1 of only 2 centres taking part in the Mesothelioma and Radical Surgery Trial (MARS).

Contact us

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 020 7188 1069


Dorcas ward, 9th floor, Borough Wing, Guy's Hospital, Great Maze Pond, London SE1 9RT

Surgical admissions lounge, 1st floor, Tower Wing, Guy’s Hospital, Great Maze Pond, London SE1 9RT

Clinical advice

Email: [email protected]

Nurse practioners: 020 7188 1020

We'll answer your call from Monday to Sunday, 8am to 8pm.

If you're an existing patient and need advice, please email us, or call switchboard on 020 7188 7188 and request the on-call thoracic team.

Do you have any comments or concerns about your care?

Contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Is this page useful?