Coronavirus: POPS update
In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, please read our advice and information before sending any referrals.
POPS team administrator
The older persons assesment unit
Ground floor, Bermondsey Wing
Great Maze Pond
London SE1 9RT
Tel: 020 7188 2092
Who can refer
The perioperative medicine for older people undergoing surgery (POPS) team accepts referrals from GPs, consultants, pre-admission clinics, nurse specialists, therapists and social workers.
How to refer
To refer a patient please contact the POPS team administrator, Mohammed Shawkhat Ali (team administrator) or Rathia Begum (assistant service manager), using the contact information at the top of the page.
If a patient may need to be seen urgently, please call the POPS team directly via the telephone number at the top of the page.
For staff working within the Trust, please utilise the 'POPS' referral form on the electronic patient records (EPR) system.
POPS provides structured support for the following specialties:
- upper and lower gastrointestinal surgery
- ear, nose and throat surgery
- head and neck, and maxilo-facial surgery
- breast surgery
- cardiac surgery
- upper GI, colorectal and general surgery
- dermatology and plastic surgery
- head and neck, and maxilo – facial surgery
- orthopaedics (elective and trauma) surgery
- urology surgery
- vascular surgery.
POPS also sees patients from other medical and surgical specialties. Please contact the main POPS office to discuss these patients on 020 7188 2092.
Primarily we see patients over the age of 65, but we also see younger patients. POPS will support the individual throughout all stages of the surgical pathway.
Our aim is to make sure patients are:
- having the most appropriate treatments
- able to make an informed decision about their treatments
- as fit as possible before surgery
- prepared for the hospital stay
- aware of what to expect after surgery, with a clear understanding of their responsibilities after discharge.
Priority is given to those being referred prior to cancer or urgent surgery.
Please submit all internal referrals via EPR orders. For more information you can use our how to refer a patient guide (PDF 513Kb).
You can post us your referrals to the following address:
Older Persons Assessment Unit
Ground floor, Bermondsey Wing
We also accept external referrals via email: email@example.com
If you wish to discuss a patient before referring, (mandatory if the patient is under the age of 65) please call the main POPS office on 020 7188 2092.
We accept referrals for patients aged 65 years and over who have:
- poorly controlled diabetes
- ischaemic heart disease (history of myocardial infarction, unstable angina, abnormal ECGs)
- heart failure
- uncontrolled hypertension (blood pressure above 160/90)
- cerebrovascular disease
- chronic lung disease
- memory problems, history of confusion or known dementia
- poor nutritional status
- had two or more falls in the past year
or those who:
- take warfarin
- need assistance with daily activities
- are likely to require a complex discharge package
- are to have surgery deferred due to other, more pressing health issues