Coronavirus: POPS update
In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, please read our advice and information before sending any referrals.
POPS team administrator
The older persons assesment unit
Ground floor, Bermondsey Wing
Great Maze Pond
London SE1 9RT
Tel: 020 7188 2092
Who can refer
The proactive care of older people (POPS) team accepts referrals from GPs, consultants, pre-admission clinics, nurse specialists, therapists and social workers.
How to refer
To refer a patient please contact the POPS team administrator, Shahid Uddin, using the contacts at the top of this page.
If a patient may need to be seen urgently, please call the POPS team directly via the telephone number at the top of the page.
For staff working within the Trust, please utilise the 'POPS' referral form on the Electronic Patient Records (EPR) system.
The POPS team provides structured support for the following surgical specialties:
- upper and lower gastrointestinal surgery
- ear, nose and throat surgery
- head and neck, and maxilo-facial surgery.
We can also see patients for other specialties, but they will need to be discussed on an individual basis with the POPS team before referral.
The POPS team provides preoperative assessment for patients aged over 65 years with multiple complex co-morbidities or functional problems. Patients are optimised for anaesthetic and surgery. The team then follows the patient through the surgical admission, addressing medical, functional and discharge planning concerns.
We accept referrals for patients aged 65 years and over who have:
- poorly controlled diabetes
- ischaemic heart disease (history of myocardial infarction, unstable angina, abnormal ECGs)
- heart failure
- uncontrolled hypertension (blood pressure above 160/90)
- cerebrovascular disease
- chronic lung disease
- memory problems, history of confusion or known dementia
- poor nutritional status
- had two or more falls in the past year
or those who:
- take warfarin
- need assistance with daily activities
- are likely to require a complex discharge package
- are to have surgery deferred due to other, more pressing health issues
Resources for health professionals
See our resources page.