Who can refer?
Practices in Lambeth and Southwark can refer, although we do accept referrals from outside these areas in special circumstances and at the discretion of the nurse.
Patients attending accident and emergency (A&E) with typical symptoms and risk factors and who have a normal ECG and negative Troponin may be referred for outpatient review in our rapid access chest pain clinic.
- Patients with exertional chest pain suggestive of new onset angina within the last two months.
- Pain that is suggestive of cardiac ischaemia and / or has some atypical features but is accompanied by significant cardiac risk.
- Women aged 40 and below and men aged 30 years and below can be referred in exceptional circumstances only.
- BP must be below 180mmHg systolic and 90mmHg diastolic.
- Suspected acute myocardial infarction or an unstable acute coronary syndrome should be referred to accident and emergency.
- Those who request to be seen by a doctor.
- Patients who are currently or have been previously investigated by a cardiologist in the past five years.
- Those with known ischemic heart disease.
The RACPC referral form (Word 72Kb) should be completed and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have enquiries, please contact the clinic co-ordinator on 020 7188 1012.
Referrals are not accepted via post due to our two week appointment target.
GPs should provide patients with a clinic information sheet advising them that the clinic will contact them with an appointment during the following two working days.
How we will arrange the appointment
Our clinic co-ordinator will contact the patient by phone to offer the first available appointment within two weeks of receipt of the referral, if the patient has agreed to this. For confidentiality reasons, a brief message only may be left, requesting the patient to contact the clinic co-ordinator at St Thomas’; no further information is given.
The clinic co-ordinator provides the patient with the essential information over the phone and this is followed up by a patient information letter sent by post.