Secretary tel: 020 7188 0652
Area of expertise: obstetric anaesthesia, vascular anaesthesia, anaesthesia in the obese patient
Dr Jason Scott FRCA has been a consultant anaesthetist at St Thomas' since 2006. His fixed sessional commitments involve:
- two sessions of obstetric anaesthesia: providing and supervising the provision of anaesthesia and analgesia on our maternity unit . He also manages critically ill patients on the obstetric high dependancy unit
- three sessions of vascular anaesthesia: providing anaesthetic services for open vascular procedures and endovascular stenting procedures conducted under radiological screening. These patients are often elderly with multiple co-existing illnesses
- two sessions of anaesthesia for gynaecological surgery: providing general and regional anaesthesia for patients undergoing complex open and laparoscopic gynaecological procedures.
Jason is the anaesthetic representative at the weekly maternal risk management meetings at which critical incidents and near misses are reviewed and action plans undertaken if appropriate. He is the lead anaesthetist for obesity at Guy's and St Thomas'.
Jason is an educational supervisor for two anaesthetic fellows undergoing higher training in obstetric anaesthesia, and is involved in the training of medical students. He also teaches on national courses for the primary FRCA and the rescuscitation council.
Jason is a clinical advisor for a group of undergraduates. This involves supporting the students through their undergraduate training and meeting with them on a regular basis.
During his own training he spent two years as clinical fellow in obstetric anaesthesiology at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York. Here he engaged in clinical and laboratory research on the modulation of pain pathways in the spinal cord, and the effects of receptor genetics on anaesthesia and pregnancy. He has published a number of peer reviewed papers and authored book chapters on obstetric anaesthesia.
Education and training
- 1994 MB, BS, St Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical School
- 1997 FRCA, Primary Royal College of Anaesthetists
- 2000 FRCA, Final Royal College of Anaesthetists
- 2002 ECFMG, Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates, USA
- 2004 Fellowship in Obstetrical Anesthesiology, Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, New York
- 2006 Certificate of Completion of Training.
- obstetric anaesthesia
- vascular anaesthesia
- anaesthesia in the obese patient.