Secretary tel: 020 7188 1057 / 1077
Cardiac surgery email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Clinical nurse specialist: Assumpta O’Sullivan
Clinical nurse specialist tel: 020 7188 7597
Clinical nurse specialist mobile: 07918 338 909
Appointments coordinator tel: 020 7188 1044
Admissions coordinator tel: 020 7188 3894
Languages spoken: English and Italian
Area of expertise: cardiac surgery
Mr Gianluca Lucchese was appointed consultant cardiac and mitral surgeon at St Thomas’ Hospital in 2016.
During his time at St Thomas’ Hospital he has focused on maximising his expertise on mitral valve repair and has trained in complex aortic and minimally invasive aortic surgery and trans-catheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI).
Gianluca has had comprehensive surgical training in cardiac surgery in Italy and the UK, including cardiac congenital, transplantation and mechanical circulatory support.
Education and training
- National Institute for Health Research – eLearning courses. Good Clinical Practice Certificate (primary care and secondary care) (London, 2015)
- Workshop on cardiac intensive and critical care. Emogasanalysis and Ventilation Strategies in Difficult Scenarios (Milan, Italy, 2012)
- EACTS meeting 2014 – postgraduate course: techniques of mitral valve repair (Milan, Italy, 2014)
- PhD in cardiovascular sciences, University of Verona, Italy (2012)
- Italian Society of Cardiac Surgeons – postgraduate course (congenital): atrioventricular valves repair (Rome, Italy, 2012)
- Training course on techniques of aortic valve repair (Homburg, Germany, 2012)
- Medical Statistics II (Epidemiology) – University of Verona, Italy (2011)
- Medical Statistics I – University of Verona, Italy (2011)
- Training course on the HeartMate II® LVAD implant (Thoratec Italia), (Verona, Italy, 2010)
- Workshop on congenital heart surgery – tailoring perfusion for the smallest (Munich, Germany, 2010)
- Workshop on congenital heart surgery – pediatric ECMO (Geneva, Switzerland, 2010)
- Graduated from the Medical School of Siena’s University (Italy) with honours (2002).
- Mitral valve surgery
- Minimal invasive surgery
- Trans-catheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Complex aortic surgery and aortic root sparing
- Grown-up congenital heart disease (GUCH).
- Myocardial protection
- Heart remodelling
- STAT proteins
- Ross procedure
- Valve repair/replacement
- Medical statistic.
- German Society for pediatric cardiology, 45th annual meeting (Weimar, 2013) – first prize for the research project entitled: “Early and late perspectives of the Ross (Ross/Konno) operation in the pediatric population: an Italian multi-centric study”
- Department of cardiac surgery, University Hospital of Siena, Italy (2004) – first prize for the research project entitled: “Prophylaxis of post-operative AF with the combined use of sotalol and Mg+ in patients underwent isolated CABG” (author’s translation)
- Medical School, University of Siena, Italy (1999) – first prize for the research project entitled: “New perspectives in the secondary prevention of the ischemic stroke” (author’s translation).