Team administrator: Elaine Denne
Tel: 020 7188 4930
Area of expertise: restorative dentistry
Barry Quinn is the team/clinical service lead for integrated clinical care/palace team at Guy's and St Thomas'.
He is also:
- MClinDent (flexible learning Prosthodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry) lead examiner at the King's College Dental Institute
- BDS Years 4 and 5 Curriculum Chair
- Applied Dental Science Course Lead
- BDS Year 1 Examinations Chair.
Clinically, Barry has been a consultant in restorative dentistry since 2004 and a specialist in prosthodontics, periodontics and endodontics since 1999.
Other positions include:
- Deputy lead for the Objective Structured Clinical Examination for the Overseas Registration examination (Part 2).
- Royal College of England Examiner for the Membership in Restorative Dentistry (MRD) since 2009 and Examiner for the Membership of the Joint Dental Faculties (MJDF) examination since 2007.
- Final BDS External Examiner for Khartoum Medical Sciences College in Sudan since 2007.
- Second BDS External Examiner for Cardiff University Dental School since 2010.
- Third BDS External Examiner for Queen’s University Belfast since 2013.
- Past National Registrar representative on the Senior Registrars Restorative Dentistry Group.
- Past editorial board member of the Journals Private Dentistry and Aesthetic and Implant Dentistry.
- Editorial Board of European Journal of Dental Education
- Editorial Reviewer for Journal of Dental Education
- Represents the dental institute within King's Learning Institute and is editor of the Dental Institute’s Profile publication.
- International Association of Dental Research, Education Research Group Elected Councillor, June 2012
- Elected Senior Dental Staff Representative to King’s College London Academic Board
- Twice selected King’s College London Dental Society Staff President for 2007 and 2014
Education and training
Barry qualified from the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals, University of London in 1987. Subsequently he spent several years working as a house officer, senior officer and registrar gaining general professional training in a wide range of dental specialities.
Barry gained a Fellowship from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Glasgow and The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland in 1991. In 1993, Barry gained an MSc with Distinction from Eastman Dental Institute, University of London and returned to Guy’s Hospital as a registrar in restorative dentistry.
In 1994 Barry gained a Membership in Restorative Dentistry of The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Times Higher Education Awards Runner up in ICT Innovation, November 2013
Association of Dental Education of Europe Awarded Excellence in Dental Education (Senior Award), July 2013
King’s College London Research Project of the Year, October 2012
Economic and Social Science Research Council top 8 projects out of over 300, September 2012
Inspire Award from Guy’s & St. Thomas’ Foundation Trust, June 2012
Naidex National Awards for Oral Health Promotion, May 2012
King’s College London Dental Institute Teaching Excellence Award, May 2012
Medical Futures, Two Awards for best innovation in Dentistry and overall innovation in healthcare, June 2011
- Simulation and Technology Enhance Learning Initiative Runner Up for clinical simulation, November 2010
- The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Medal for the most outstanding performance in the Membership in Restorative Dentistry Examination, 1994
- Distinction in MSc (conservative dentistry) from the Institute of Dental Surgery Eastman Dental Hospital.
- Simulation for dental cavity preparation (hapTEL) project
- Inter-professional education
- Oral health promotion for inpatient care and the impact on health outcomes
- Use of interactive technologies to improve student engagement in learning
- Continuing professional development educational research
- Tooth erosion caused by recreational/social drinking
- Implant and tooth borne prostheses
Barry is a regular presenter at the American Dental Educational Association, Association of Dental Education of Europe, American educational Research Association and the International Association of Dental Research.
He has supervised 3 MClinDent(Prosthodontics) research theses.