Saurabh Goyal - consultant ophthalmic surgeon
Tel: 020 7188 2289
Mr Saurabh Goyal, MS DNB, FRCOphth, FRCS is a consultant eye surgeon.
Saurabh was appointed consultant in 2010 at Queen Mary’s Hospital, Sidcup. In 2012 he became a consultant with a special interest in glaucoma at St Thomas’.
Education and training
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (FRCOphth) - London, 2009
- Membership of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (MRCOphth) - London, 2002
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (FRCS Ophthalmology), 2002
- International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) final assessment - HQ, USA, 2000
- Diplomate of the National Board of Examinations (DNB Ophthalmology) - New Delhi, India, 2000
- Master of Surgery (Ophthalmology) - South Gujarat University, Surat, India, 1999
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) - MGM Medical College, Indore, India, 1996
- 2008 - 2009: Glaucoma Clinical Fellow, Moorfields Eye Hospital
- 2007 - 2008: Cornea and External Disease Fellow, Moorfields Eye Unit at St Georges and Moorfields Eye Hospital, London
- 2006 - 2007: Glaucoma Clinical Fellow, King's College Hospital and St Thomas’ Hospital
- 2003 - 2006: Specialist Registrar Ophthalmology, Birmingham and London
- 2001 - 2003: Senior House Officer (Ophthalmology), South-East Thames Training Programme, London
- 1997 - 2000: Ophthalmology Resident then Registrar, New Civil Hospital, Surat, India
- Glaucoma - managing all aspects of glaucoma, including refractory glaucoma, laser and surgery for glaucoma
- Cataract surgery - small incision phacoemulsification surgery, specialist cataract surgery in glaucoma patients
Laser, surgery and early diagnosis in glaucoma - Saurabh is an investigator for international multi-centre randomised glaucoma laser and surgery trials.
Primary tube versus trabeculectomy (PTVT) study - Saurabh is one in only 3 specialists in the country who are part of this trial.
Effectiveness in angle closure glaucoma of lens extraction (EAGLE) trial - This is a multi-centre international trial to study the effectiveness of early lens extraction in patients with angle closure type of glaucoma as compared to laser treatment.
Saurabh is also supervising a UK-wide study to find the incidence of primary open angle glaucoma in people from 16 - 40 years of age, in association with the British Ophthalmic Surveillance Unit (BOSU) of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London.
Saurabh was awarded 4 gold medals at final high school (A-level equivalent) examinations for being the overall top student of the school and also getting the highest marks in science subjects.
He was the second leading scorer in ophthalmology in the final university examination in the undergraduate medical course.
Saurabh also won the silver medal of The National Talent Search Contest, New Delhi and the silver award of the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme.
He won the regional prize for the best audit presentation at south east Thames regional audit competition in 2006.
He also won gold medal and the award for the best overall research paper at the United Kingdom and Ireland Cataract and Refractive Society (UKISCRS) annual conference in 2008.