Saurabh Goyal - consultant ophthalmic surgeon
Tel: 020 7188 2289
Saurabh Goyal, MS DNB, FRCOphth, FRCS is a consultant eye surgeon.
Saurabh was appointed consultant in 2010 at Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup. In 2012 he became a consultant with a special interest in glaucoma at St Thomas' Hospital.
Education and training
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (FRCOphth) - London, 2009
- Membership of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (MRCOphth) - London, 2002
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (FRCS Ophthalmology), 2002
- International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) final assessment - HQ, USA, 2000
- Diplomate of the National Board of Examinations (DNB Ophthalmology) - New Delhi, India, 2000
- Master of Surgery (Ophthalmology) - South Gujarat University, Surat, India, 1999
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) - MGM Medical College, Indore, India, 1996
- Glaucoma Clinical Fellow, Moorfields Eye Hospital (2008-2009)
- Cornea and External Disease Fellow, Moorfields Eye Unit at St Georges and Moorfields Eye Hospital, London (2007-2008)
- Glaucoma Clinical Fellow, King's College Hospital and St Thomas’ Hospital (2006-2007)
- Specialist Registrar Ophthalmology, Birmingham and London (2003-2006)
- Senior House Officer (Ophthalmology), south east Thames Training Programme, London (2001-2003)
- Ophthalmology Resident then Registrar, New Civil Hospital, Surat, India (1997-2000)
- Glaucoma – managing all aspects of glaucoma (primary, secondary, angle closure) including refractory glaucoma, management of advanced glaucoma. All aspects of laser (SLT, cyclodiode, micropulse, laser iridotomy, iridoplasty, endoscopic cyclophotocoagulation ECP laser etc) and surgery (trabeculectomy, ahmed valve, baerveldt shunt, MIGS eg istent, xen gel implant, innfocus/presaflow microshunt, KDB trabeculectomy etc) for glaucoma
- Cataract surgery – small incision phacoemulsification surgery, specialist cataract surgery in glaucoma patients. Combined cataract and glaucoma surgery
- Laser, surgery and early diagnosis in glaucoma – Saurabh is an investigator for international multi-centre randomised glaucoma surgery trials.
- Primary tube versus trabeculectomy (PTVT) study – Saurabh is one in only three specialists in the country who are part of this international trial.
- Effectiveness in angle closure glaucoma of lens extraction (EAGLE) trial – this is a multi-centre, international trial to study the effectiveness of early lens extraction in patients with angle closure type of glaucoma as compared to laser treatment.
- Treatment of advanced glacuoma (TAGS) – multicentric randomised trial of trabeculectomy surgery versus drops in patients with advanced glaucoma.
- Aqueous dynamics studies in MIGS surgery – ongoing trial of various new glaucoma surgical devices to study how they affect fluidics in the eye.
- PEACE trial – randomised controlled trial on effectiveness of trabeculectomy versus tube surgery with/without MMC in Afro-Caribbean patients.
- Educational supervisor award, Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Trust (2019)
Treacher Collins prize, Royal College of Ophthalmologists for best video presentation, supervising author (2014)
Gold medal and award for the best overall research paper at the United Kingdom and Ireland Cataract and Refractive Society (UKISCRS) annual conference (2008)
Regional prize for the best audit presentation at south east Thames regional audit competition (2006)
Silver medal of The National Talent Search Contest, New Delhi
Second leading scorer in ophthalmology in the final university examination in the undergraduate medical course
Four gold medals at final high school (A-level equivalent) examinations for being the overall top student of the school and also getting the highest marks in science subjects