Secretary: Erika Jones
Tel: 020 7188 6796
Area of expertise: functional urology and reconstruction, urinary incontinence (female and male), uro-neurology, urinary tract stone disease and general urology
Mr Arun Sahai, PhD, FRCS (Urol), BSc (Hons.), is a honorary senior lecturer within King’s Health Partners and a consultant urological surgeon in functional urology (bladder dysfunction, incontinence and urinary tract reconstruction) and stone disease at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals NHS Trust.
Arun qualified from the United Medical & Dental Schools of Guy’s and St Thomas’ and was trained in urology on the South Thames Rotation through the London Deanery. He spent his senior training years in the Department of Urology at Guy’s Hospital and following this undertook a visiting fellowship with Professor De Ridder at UZ leuven Hospital in Belgium.
Arun is a member of the British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS), European Association of Urology, International Continence Society & Royal College of Surgeons of England.
In 2005 he was awarded the Hadley Trust British Urological Foundation grant and has won two RSM prizes and presented at numerious international, national and regional meetings.
Education and training
- First Class Honours BSc degree in anatomy and cell biology (1996)
- MRCS (2003)
- FRCS (Urol) (2010)
- PhD thesis based on the use of botulinum toxin in overactive bladder (2011)
- Specialist investigation: standard and video urodynamics
- Stress incontinence in women - mid urethral synthetic tapes such as TVT / TVTO; colposuspension
- Stress incontinence in men - male slings, artificial urinary sphincter implantation
- Overactive bladder syndrome – Botulinum toxin bladder injections, sacral neuromodulation
- Painful bladder syndrome / interstitial cystitis
- Complex lower urinary tract symptoms
- Recurrent UTIs
- Neurological bladder – multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, stroke
- Urinary tract reconstruction surgery: vesico-vaginal fistula, urethral diverticulum, augmentation cystoplasty for overactive bladder, bladder replacement and both continent (mitrofanoff) and incontinent (ileal conduit) urinary diversions
- Clinical trials - Arun is actively involved in several clinical trials (both company sponsored and investigator led)
- Botulinum toxin therapy for overactive bladder syndrome
- Biomarkers for overactive bladder syndrome
- Urinary neurotrophic factors in bladder dysfunction
- Screening tools for lower urinary tract symptoms
- Stone disease – stents, ureteroscopy / PCNL, anesthesia for stone surgery
- Tutor & Supervisor for Surgical BSc
- Organiser of Urology Teaching for medical students
- Lecturer on medical school curriculum
- Examiner for final year examinations for medical students (GKT), MRCS and FRCS Revision courses
- Co-author on revision books for final year medical students and MRCS exam
- GKT medical student mentorship programme