Coronavirus: Hearing Implant Centre update
In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, please read our advice and information before making a referral.
Who can refer
Referrals are considered from:
- ENT consultants
- audiological physicians
- scientists and technicians
- speech and language therapists
- teachers of the deaf
To proceed with funding, a medical referral is required.
How to refer
To send a referral or request specialist information, please email us using the email address at the top of this page
Adult referral form
Paediatric referral forms
Please contact us if you have any queries regarding a patient and what they may be appropriate for.
Cochlear implant (CI)
- pure tone audiometric threshold equal to or greater than 80dB HL at 2 or more frequencies (500 Hz, 1000 Hz, 2000Hz, 3000Hz and 4000Hz) bilaterally without acoustic hearing aids
- limited benefit from wearing hearing aids
- children: do not wait for speech / language delay
- congenital, acquired, progressive, sudden onset.
Auditory brainstem implant (ABI)
- Hearing implant referral criteriaunsuitable for CI
- under 5 years of age
- non-neurofibromatosis type 2
- cochlear nerve aplasia
- cochlear obliteration (ostosclerosis, ossification)
- cochlear nerve avulasion (skull base fracture).
Electric-acoustic stimulation (EAS)
- pure tone audiometry thresholds at 65dB up to 750dB
- no air-bone gap >15dBHL
- limited benefit from hearing aids
- no contraindications to wearing an earmould.
Middle ear implant (MEI)
- Hearing implant referral criteriaSNHL (AC thresholds within shaded area) or mixed/CHL (BC thresholds within darker outline)
- stable hearing loss
- inability to wear conventional hearing aids due to medical reasons
- no retrocochlear or central auditory pathology
Bone conduction implants (BCI)
- Hearing implant referral criteriabone conduction thresholds within green area
- inability to wear conventional hearing aids (eg chronic otitis media or otitis externa, congenital malformations, otosclerosis, recurrent ear infections due to hearing aid usage)
- unilateral profound SNHL, with normal BC thresholds in the better hearing ear. Must be trialled with CROS aids.