Nuclear medicine

Nuclear medicine involves a scan or test to show how various parts of your body are working.

You receive a very small amount of radiation, similar to an X-ray, that can be picked up by a scanner.

Types of scans and tests we offer include:

  • diagnostic imaging
  • cardiac (heart) stress testing
  • children's imaging
  • hybrid imaging
  • osteoporosis screening
  • non-cancer thyroid testing
  • thyroid cancer therapy
  • neuroendocrine testing
  • radium therapy for prostate cancer
  • radiosynovectomy
  • radionuclide therapy


There is accommodation available for people attending the nuclear medicine department for treatment at Guy's Hospital and St Thomas' Hospital. Find out more information about:

Alternatively, please speak to a member of the team caring for you.

Our consultants

Sarah Allen, head of nuclear medicine, consultant clinical scientist

Dhruba Dasgupta, nuclear medicine

Nicolas Eftychiou, nuclear medicine, thyroid oncology clinic

Eugene Lee, nuclear medicine chief technologist

Ronan Tegala, head of radiopharmacy

Fahim Ul-Hasan, nuclear medicine, thyroid oncology clinic, nuclear medicine clinical lead

Ahmed Haseeb, nuclear medicine

Last updated: September 2023

Contact us

Nuclear medicine at Guy's Hospital

Phone: 020 7188 4112

Email: [email protected]

Address: nuclear medicine, ground floor, Borough Wing, Guy's Hospital, Great Maze Pond, London SE1 9RT

We're open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.

Nuclear medicine at St Thomas' Hospital

Phone: 020 7188 4084

Email: [email protected]

Address: nuclear medicine, 1st floor, Lambeth Wing, St Thomas’ Hospital, Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7EH

We're open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.

Osteoporosis unit

Phone: 020 7188 4099 for osteoporosis screening reception

Email: [email protected]

Address: osteoporosis unit, 1st floor, Tower Wing, Guy's Hospital, Great Maze Pond, London SE1 9RT

We're open from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Do you have any comments or concerns about your care?

Contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Is this page useful?