Before your clinic appointment
The outpatient thyroid clinic is held every Monday afternoon at Guy's between 2pm and 5pm. Your appointment time will be on your appointment letter. Please:
- bring your appointment letter with you, along with details of any medicines you are currently taking
- read your appointment letter carefully, as it will contain details of any other tests or scans that you may need to have
- let us know in advance if you need an interpreter, so we can arrange this for you. Alternatively, contact your GP, who can also arrange this
- let us know if you need to cancel or change your appointment, by calling the thyroid co-ordinator on the number at the bottom of this page. Please tell us as soon as possible so that we can offer your appointment to another patient.
Do I need a diagnostic scan?
Before you are seen in the clinic, the doctors may like you to have a diagnostic scan. The doctors will then have the pictures to review by the time you see them. If you need a scan, your scan appointment and full details of where to go will be included with your clinic appointment letter.
Please contact us if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you are taking any medication.
Your clinic appointment
When you arrive at the clinic, book in at the main reception desk.
The receptionist will check your details are up to date in your patient records to ensure that any letters we need to write to you or your GP are properly addressed. If you do change address or GP, please let us know by telephoning 020 7188 4110.
The receptionist will ask you to take a seat in the waiting area.
You will be seen first by the clinic nurse, who will weigh you, then by the consultant or someone from his or her team.
Student doctors and nurses are sometimes present during the clinic consultations as part of their training. We hope you do not mind if they are present, but please tell us if you would prefer they were not. It will not affect your care in any way.
After your appointment
If you are asked to return to the clinic, your doctor will give you a slip of paper to hand in to the receptionist before you leave. She will then arrange a follow-up appointment for you.
Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm:
- clinical nurse specialist: 020 7188 4098
- thyroid co-ordinator: 020 7188 4110
- Guy's Hospital nuclear medicine department: 020 7188 4112