How to get an appointment
If you have symptoms please walk in to see us. You'll be given a slot for later in the day, subject to availability.
You can walk in from:
- 8.30am on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at all of our clinics
- 1pm on Wednesday at Burrell Street and Walworth Road
- 2pm on Wednesday at Streatham Hill, for under 18s only
- 8.30am on Saturday and Sunday at Burrell Street only
Book your appointment
Find out how you can book your sexual health appointment for each of our services.
If you want to have an implant fitted, removed or replaced:
This appointment is for insertion, removal or replacement only and no other service.
If you have a positive STI result and need treatment, please book a phone appointment with the health advisor team.
We will ask you some questions and arrange for you to attend a clinic. You will need proof of your positive result.
These vaccinations are free.
Please book an appointment if you:
- need to have one or more of these vaccinations
- have already started a course somewhere else and need to continue
Hepatitis A vaccines are for:
- all men who have sex with men
Hepatitis B vaccines are for:
- all men who have sex with men
- if you inject drugs
- sex workers
- if your partner has hepatitis B
The human papillomavirus vaccination (HPV) vaccine is recommended for:
- all men who have sex with men under the age of 45
If you're under 18, you're welcome at all our clinics. We'll make your care a priority.
We are here to help with your sexual health, relationship and contraceptive needs. We will also listen if you're worried about something and need to talk.
A healthcare professional will ask you about your:
- sexual health
- home situation
We run a walk-in clinic for young people on Wednesday, 2pm to 6pm at Streatham Hill clinic. You do not need to book an appointment.
Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for HIV is available free through the NHS. It is available at all our clinics.
To get PrEP you can:
- book an appointment online. Appointments will be released up to 48 hours in advance
- walk in during opening hours, you'll usually get an appointment slot for later in the day or the next day
If you're new to taking PrEP, we will:
- discuss how it works and explain the different ways to use it
- talk about your mental health, any drug or alcohol use, and offer support if you would like it
- arrange your check-up for STIs
- offer vaccinations for hepatitis A and B and HPV
If you're already taking PrEP, please do a sexual health check-up (including HIV) at home before you come to your appointment. Please be ready to show your results or Sexual Health London (SHL) ID. This will speed up the process to receive your PrEP.
SHL allows you to test more frequently than every 3 months. It normally takes 1 to 2 weeks to order the test and receive your results.
If you want to have a coil (intrauterine device - IUD) fitted or replaced:
- book a coil appointment at Burrell Street
- book a coil appointment at Streatham Hill
- book a coil appointment at Walworth Road
This appointment is for insertion or replacement only and no other service.
We also offer appointments for the emergency copper coil (IUD).
If you want an emergency coil, please walk in during our opening hours.
To book an appointment for the contraceptive pill, patch, vaginal ring or injection:
- visit the Sexual Health London website to order your free contraception (pills, patch or ring)
- book a contraception appointment at Burrell Street
- book a contraception appointment at Streatham Hill
- walk in during our opening hours
To discuss options or book a termination of pregnancy, please contact a provider directly.
If you're a resident or registered with a GP practice in Lambeth, Southwark, Bromley, Lewisham, Bexley or Greenwich, you can choose to have your abortion with:
- British Pregnancy Advisory Service
- MSI Reproductive Choices
- National Unplanned Pregnancy Advisory Service (NUPAS)
If you live in another borough or are not registered with a GP in one our boroughs, you can contact the providers for further advice.
During your visit
Find out what happens at your appointment.
We will send you:
- a welcome text message with your patient number and other useful links, such as how to ask for home testing kit or contraception online
- a text message to confirm your appointment, please show it at reception when you arrive for your appointment
- a reminder text message
- other text messages with information about contraception choices, PrEP and a link to check if your alcohol consumption is causing problems
Please do not pee for 2 hours before your appointment.
Appointments are face-to-face. We might speak to you on the phone before asking you to come to a clinic.
Please arrive no more than 10 minutes before your appointment. If you've booked online, please arrive 10 minutes before your appointment to register.
If you arrive more than 10 minutes late, you'll need to rebook your appointment.
Most appointments last 30 to 40 minutes. If you need treatment for an infection, your appointment can take up to 90 minutes.
You will be offered a check-up at your appointment. This includes a:
- blood sample
- urine sample
- possible swabs (vaginal, bottom and throat swabs)
If you are coming to the clinic for contraception we will:
- measure your height and weight
- take your blood pressure
If you are coming for the coil or implant, the procedure will take place in the clinic. You will get information about what will happen before you come for your appointment.
Our team is made up of:
- health advisors
- health care assistants
- administration support
You might see more than one member of staff at your appointment.
We will tell you if we need to see you again.
We will send you a text message with more information on:
Test results can take up to 10 working days, but it's often much sooner than this.
If your results are negative, we will send you a text message. We will contact you by phone if you need to come back for treatment.
You can call our results line for your results.
Last updated: 27 September 2022