Coronavirus: sleep disorders update
In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, please read our advice and information before sending any referralse.
Sleep disorders centre
1st floor, Nuffield House
Great Maze Pond
London SE1 9RT
We no longer accept paper or emailed referrals from GPs. Referrals should be made via the NHS e-Referral service (formerly Choose and Book).
Other centres can continue to refer patients to us via:
- a letter (addressed to 'Dear sleep consultant' or to a specific sleep consultant) using the address at the top of this page
- emailing our NHS.net inbox email@example.com.
We do not accept referrals:
- directly from patients
- for primary insomnia
- for snoring without sleepiness or apnoeas. These should be referred to the ENT department for evaluation.
Referrals can be made for:
- obstructive sleep apnoea
- central sleep apnoea
- parasomnias including sleep walking, REM-behaviour disorder, night terrors, sexomnias, sleep eating, restless legs, periodic limb movements in sleep, nocturnal myoclonus, nocturnal epilepsy
- idiopathic hypersomnia
- Kleine-Levin syndrome
- sleep-wake schedule disorders: phase delay syndrome or non-24 hour circadian rhythm disorder
- nocturnal seizures.
General sleep clinics run daily and cater for adults only. There is a separate children's sleep service at Evelina London Children's Hospital.
We aim to see routine referrals within six to eight weeks. Referral may be made either:
- by letter (addressed to 'Dear sleep consultant' or to a specific sleep consultant) using the address at the top of this page
- via the NHS e-Referral Service (formerly Choose and Book).
All referrals must come from a GP or another consultant.
Referrals from other hospitals must include a completed Inter-Provider Minimum Data Set or ensure that one is sent within 48 hours of referring a patient.
We accept and process referrals urgently if the patient is a driver by occupation or for any other occupations where excessive sleepiness is of serious concern. We also prioritise patients whose sleep behaviours have caused or have the potential to cause serious harm to themselves or others.
Use the referral process above for urgent referrals, which we aim to see within two weeks.
Cancelling an appointment