We see people who have suffered a stroke or transient ischaemic attack (TIA).

If you have an acute stroke when you come to our emergency department or are in hospital, you'll receive care in a hyper acute stroke unit (HASU), like the unit at King's College Hospital. We'll transfer you back to Guy's and St Thomas' around 48 to 72 hours after admission to a HASU.

We work with colleagues across London so that you can receive the rest of your care close to home.


We care for people at our rehabilitation stroke unit on Mark ward.

Health information

NHS website – stroke

NHS website - transient ischaemic attack (TIA)

Different strokes, information about stroke in young people

Stoke Association, supporting people to rebuild their lives after having a stroke

Our consultants

Peter Sommerville, clinical lead 

Ajay Bhalla

Jonathan Birns

Mustafa Kadam

Research and clinical trials

Research is vital to improving the care that you receive when you're unwell.

You can help improve healthcare by taking part in research studies at our Trust. During your appointment, ask your healthcare professional about research. They'll be happy to tell you about research studies you could be eligible to join.

You can also email [email protected] for more information.

Last updated: January 2024

Contact us

Phone: 020 7188 2515

Email: [email protected]

Address: Gassiot House outpatient centre, St Thomas' Hospital, Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7EH

Do you have any comments or concerns about your care?

Contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Is this page useful?