The pre-operative assessment clinic is a nurse-led clinic where we determine if you are physically fit enough to have surgery and an anaesthetic.
If you have more complex medical issues you may be seen in an anaesthetic consultant led clinic.
|Hospital||Location ||Telephone |
||Central pre-operative assessment clinic
1st floor, Tower Wing
|020 7188 8300
Southwark pre-operative assessment clinic
1st floor, Southwark Wing
| 020 7188 4222
Central pre-operative assessment clinic,
Gassiot House Outpatients, Ground Floor, Gassiot House.
ext 53165 or 53164
About your appointment
Before your appointment
- If you have any questions, please write them down and bring them with you, so the nurse can answer them.
- Also bring a list of all the medications that you currently take, including their strength and how often you take them
- You can eat, drink and take your medications as normal on the day of your appointment.
- As you may have a physical examination, women may wish to wear separates, e.g. a top and trousers/skirt.
Changing or cancelling your appointment
If you're unable to keep your appointment, please let us know as soon as possible, so we can rebook your appointment and give your original appointment to someone else.
How to change or cancel your appointment
- on our website
- by calling the number on your admission letter
- by calling our dedicated 24-hour appointment cancellation line on 020 7188 9900.
This appointment is important preparation for your surgery. You must come to this appointment or let us know if you need to cancel or change it.
At your appointment
The nurse will ask you about your general health, fitness and previous operations and illnesses. The assessment may involve:
- blood pressure, pulse, temperature and/or respiratory rate measurements
- blood tests
- a urine test (to test for infections, which must be treated before you can have surgery)
- swabs being taken for MRSA (methecillin resistant staphylococcus aureus) a type of bacteria that can cause infections. Any infection must be treated before you can have surgery
- an electrocardiogram (ECG). This is a way of recording the rate, rhythm and electrical activity of your heart. It's a simple test that does not cause any discomfort or pain. Please note that you will need to partially undress for this test
- recording your height and weight
- a physical examination, so you may need to partially undress and lie down on the examination couch. This examination will be performed by the nurse, who will listen to your heart and lungs
You may also need to go for x-rays after your appointment, but this is not necessary for all patients.
Once these tests have been completed, you will be able to leave. The results will be checked later.
After your appointment
- If we find that you have problems that we were not aware of, such as high blood pressure or diabetes, you will need to visit your GP for treatment.
- If further tests are needed, the pre-assessment nurse will refer you to the relevant hospital department or your GP.
- If everything is ok our nurses will determine the best route for you to come into hospital, such as day surgery, the surgical admissions lounge, a ward or referral to another team.