How do I get an appointment?
We accept referral letters from consultants, GPs and physiotherapists.
Before your appointment
Your appointment may last up to 60 minutes, so please allow this amount of time for your first visit. Please arrive on time. If you are late, we may not be able to see you, as this can cause delays for patients who have appointments after you.
Please bring a list of any medicines you are taking.
Wear appropriate flat and comfortable footwear as we may test your balance and other standing and walking activities.
You can bring a relative or friend with you to your appointment if you wish.
Cancelling or changing an appointment
Call us on 020 7188 5094 or email email@example.com. Please give us at least 24 hours notice if you need to cancel or change your appointment.
If you do not come to your appointment and haven't contacted us, we may discharge you back to your referring doctor.
What to expect at your appointment
We may ask you to complete questionnaires when you come for your first and last appointment. Please let us know if you have difficulties with this.
The physiotherapist will:
- ask you when your symptoms or problems started and assess how they are affecting your life
- carry out clinical assessments specific to your problems
- explain how you can manage your problems and contribute to your own recovery.
As this is a teaching hospital, students supervised by qualified staff might be involved in your care. It is valuable training for students and does not affect the quality of your treatment in any way, but please tell us if you do not want them to be present or involved. We will always respect your wishes.
After your appointment
The physiotherapist will discuss with you the best way to manage your problem. You may be:
- given advice on how to manage your condition at home
- started on a course of tailored physiotherapy exercises
- referred to a physiotherapy exercise group and information class specific to your condition.
For all physiotherapy leaflets, please see the physiotherapy patient leaflets page.