Directions: from the main North Wing entrance, turn right at main reception, then left into North Wing. Take the lift up to the 12th floor and follow signs for Hillyers Ward.
Hillyers ward is an 18 bedded specialist medical inpatient ward (with side rooms), which looks after both male and female patients admitted via the emergency care pathway, tertiary centres and clinics as well as critical care step-down patients.
As the infectious diseases base for the Trust, we frequently manage patients from a variety of specialities, including haematology, oncology, dermatology, care of the elderly, gastroenterology, toxicology, palliative, surgical, rheumatology, neurology, opthamology and others as dictated by the need for isolation and specialist input.
In addition, we are the base for the HIV team when inpatient care is required.
Our focus is always to provide the best possible care, and our team values reflect those of the Trust.
- Number of beds: 18
- Staff: 31 nurses, including registered nurses and nursing assistants, a ward physiotherapist, dietician and housekeeping team. The ward staff are supported by occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, social workers and specialist nurses.
Information for visitors
- Visiting hours are 2.30pm - 8pm, with no more than two visitors per patient at one time.
- Please do not bring children with you when visiting the ward.
- To reduce the risk of infection, please do not sit on the beds or bring cut flowers.
- You can use your mobile phone on the ward, but please respect other patients while using it, especially when they may be asleep. Please make sure it's kept on silent mode at all times.
Your care on Hillyers Ward
Our welcome pack
We provide more information about your stay in our welcome pack. This contains a welcome booklet, which explains what to expect during your stay and what will happen on the day you are ready to leave hospital.
It also includes things to help make your stay as comfortable as possible, such as ear plugs, an eye mask, hand wipes, toothpaste, a toothbrush and non-slip socks.
Ward rounds generally start at 9am. You will be given a named nurse at the start of every shift, which run from 7.30am - 8pm and 7.30pm - 8am.
The meeting your ward team page gives more information about the general ward routine.
- Breakfast: 8am
- Lunch: 12 noon
- Dinner: 5.30pm.
We have a 'protected mealtime' policy between 12.30pm - 2pm and 5pm - 6pm so you can eat without being interrupted.
See our meals page for more information on mealtimes.
Facilities on the ward
There is a day room for you and your visitors to use. Please respect the area and keep it clean.
The Hospedia (formerly patientline) service by your bed offers a radio that you can use for free and a television, which you have to pay for. It also offers a telephone.
Tell us what you think
We hope your stay is as pleasant as possible. If you or any of your visitors have a question or compliment or concern, please: