Directions: from the main St Thomas' entrance, turn right at reception and then take the first left into North Wing. Take the lift up to the 9th floor. The wards are signposted.
Our Older Persons Unit consists of three wards - Alexandra, Anne and Henry.
Information for visitors
- Visiting hours are 2pm-8pm (visiting outside of these hours is possible but must be discussed with the nurse in charge).
- Please do not sit on the beds.
- You can use your mobile phone on the ward, but please respect other patients while using it, especially when they may be asleep. Please keep your mobile phone kept on silent mode at all time.
- Please do not phone the wards before 11am.
- Please bring clothing/toiletries for the person you are visiting - this helps our patients not to feel 'hospitalised', it helps with their mood and it is more dignified for them.
Your care on our wards
- Number of beds on each ward: 28 in bays of six patients, plus single rooms.
- Staff on each ward: two consultant geriatricians and their team of junior doctors, a matron, ward sister, nursing team, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, pharmacists, dietitians, speech and language therapists, social workers, podiatrists, housekeeping team, ward clerk and a volunteer hairdresser(weekly).
Our welcome pack
We provide more information about your stay in our welcome pack. This contains a welcome booklet, which explains what to expect during your stay and what will happen on the day you are ready to leave hospital.
It also includes things to help make your stay as comfortable as possible, such as ear plugs, an eye mask, hand wipes, toothpaste, a toothbrush and non-slip socks.
You will be seen on Monday and Thursday mornings. The meeting your ward team page gives more information about the general ward routine.
- Breakfast: 7.30am-8am
- Lunch: 12.30pm
- Dinner: 5.30pm.
Hot drinks are available at all times from the tea trolley. Please ask a member of staff to serve you at any time. This is free for patients, but we ask visitors to make a small donation. Our catering assistant will also do a tea round at mealtimes, mid morning and in the afternoon. You will be offered a hot drink as you wake up and at bedtime.
See our meals page for more information on mealtimes.
Facilities on the ward
There is a day room for you and your visitors to use. Please respect the area and keep it clean.
The Hospedia (formerly patientline) service by your bed offers a radio that you can use for free and a television, which you have to pay for. It also offers a telephone.
Tell us what you think
We hope your stay is as pleasant as possible. If you or any of your visitors have a question or compliment or concern, please: