Showing we care about you – benefits and support available for all our staff
We're proud to have an excellent health and wellbeing programme available for everyone who works at Guy's and St Thomas'. Our 'Showing we care about you' programme gives staff access to a range of exceptional benefits and a comprehensive health and wellbeing offer which is generously funded by Guy's and St Thomas' Charity.
Staff happiness and wellbeing is one of our key priorities here at the Trust – we want everyone to feel valued and supported. Our 'Showing we care about you' programme provides a range of brilliant services and benefits.
Active body – this includes our 'cycle to work’ scheme, our on site gym and swimming pool, and weekly lunchtime walking groups.
- Healthy eating – our friendly dietetic team are here to help you eat well with expert advice, one-to-one support and weight management groups.
- Work-life balance – this includes flexible working opportunities, support for carers, childcare and our nationally recognised 'HALT, take a break' campaign.
- Healthy body – gain free access to our self-referral physiotherapy service and excellent stop smoking support team.
- Healthy mind – the psychological wellbeing of our staff is incredibly important, which is why we have services like our employee assistance programme which offers free counselling, financial support and advice for managers. We also encourage staff to attend our bespoke stress awareness courses (provided by Happier@Work) and access the self-help guidance available.
In response to coronavirus (COVID-19), we have enhanced the support available to staff to meet their needs and make sure they are looked after during this time. This includes:
- rest and recharge areas – spaces for staff to take a break, relax and access free tea, coffee and massage chairs
- sleep pods – for staff who want to rest whilst on shift.
Supporting your financial wellbeing
- NHS pension scheme – the NHS pension scheme is still one of the most generous and comprehensive in the UK. When you start working for the NHS you automatically become a member and you will get an excellent package of pension benefits.
- Paid annual leave – when you start working for the NHS you receive the following days annual leave, pro-rata, plus bank holidays:
- 27 days when you start
- 29 days after five years' service
- 33 days after 10 years' service.
For information on banding and pay, see our pay scales chart (PDF 41Kb) – effective from April 2017.
- Salary sacrifice schemes – including our cycle to work scheme, home electronics, childcare vouchers and lease car scheme available.
- Staff loans – including travel season ticket loans.
- Local and national discounts as well as free access to wellbeing apps.
For a more detailed look at the support available, read our latest benefits guide using our page turning software or download the latest benefits guide (PDF 2.83Mb).
Staff wellbeing champions
We empower our workforce to look after their wellbeing and each other. Hundreds of staff across the Trust have signed up as wellbeing champions. By accessing the excellent training and resources available they're able to make a real difference to lives of colleagues within their local area.
Watch our 'Showing we care about you' film
Our 'Showing we care about you' film features Audrey Hau, senior cardiovascular research nurse and showcases the benefits and support available to our staff at Guy’s and St Thomas’.
Showing we care about you video transcript
The 'Showing we care about you' programme is a phenomenal series of benefits we offer to all of our staff here at Guy's and Thomas'.
From the practical, financial wellbeing, offers of support around healthy eating and stop smoking, right through to psychological support.
I saw the advert for the 'Eat well be well' programme.
I signed up and I think it's the best thing that I could have done for myself.
I'm feeling healthier, I feel like I'm making these lifestyle changes that are positive.
I've lost six kilograms.
We can deliver ambitious programmes like this thanks to the generous donations of patients, staff, the local community and so many others, and it allows us to go above and beyond what the NHS can fund alone.
When I am with my patients, I am more enthusiastic, I'm more confident, and I think it really makes a difference.
Value and recognition
Search our latest vacancies
If you're interested in working for us, please look at our latest vacancies and apply for a job online.
London healthy workplace award
We received an 'excellence' rating in the London Healthy Workplace Award. This was for our 'Showing we care about you' programme.
This award recognises that health and wellbeing support is an important part of our cultural values.