Our children’s dentistry department is based at St Thomas’ Hospital.
We are a regional centre for children and young people who need specialist oral healthcare.
We provide an A&E service for dental emergencies as a well as a full range of outpatient and treatment clinics (local anaesthetic, inhalation and intravenous sedation).
We also carry out dental care for day cases and inpatients under general anaesthetic.
We treat children with:
- complex medical problems
- soft tissue conditions (eg problems with the lips, gums, cheeks or tongue)
- special needs
- dental anomalies (such as altered tooth structure, shape, size, form and number of teeth)
- complex dental injuries
- periodontal (gum) problems
- extensive tooth surface loss (eg erosion)
- extensive tooth decay in very young children
- phobias (where other treatment attempts have failed).
We also treat children who need:
- surgical removal of teeth that have failed to come through ('erupt')
- investigation of disorders of tooth eruption and loss.
We work closely with other dental specialities and healthcare professionals in our clinics.