St Thomas' Hospital
care of community administration office
6th floor, North Wing
Westminster Bridge Road
London SE1 7EH
Tel: 020 7188 6863 / 2735
Community midwives are midwives who work in the community, for example in GP surgeries and health centres. The midwives also visit women at home, usually for up to 10 days after they have given birth. Health visitors usually take over post-natal (after birth) care from around day 10, but this can be earlier if a woman lives in a SureStart area. If a woman needs extra support, the community midwives may visit for up to 28 days after she has given birth.
All women are offered a choice of birth in hospital or at home.
Community midwifery teams
The community midwives work to three models of care: traditional; caseload; and shared caseload.
Midwives in the traditional teams offer antenatal (before birth) and postnatal (after birth) care to women in a defined area. They also offer 24 hour on call support for home births. The areas they cover are:
- Tulip team (postcodes: SE1, SE11, SE17, SE5)
- Bluebell team (postcodes: SSE1, SE8, SE14, SE16)
- Daisy team (postcodes: SW2, SW4, SW8, SW9)
- Rose team (postcodes: SW2, SW4, SW16)
Each caseload team consists of 6 midwives who look after around 220 women each year. Caseload midwives work in pairs to improve the continuity of care and offer care before, during and after birth, including home births. The teams cover the following areas:
- Maple team (postcodes: SE11, SW8, SE17) email@example.com
- Acorn team (postcodes: SE1, SE16, SE8, SE14) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Olive team (postcodes: SW2, SW12, SW16) email@example.com
- Willow team (postcodes: SW4, SW12, SW9, SW2) firstname.lastname@example.org
All caseload teams can be emailed if you would like to request a homebirth. Please choose the caseload team within the postcodes listed. We no longer have a specific home birth team.
Read more about the option of a home birth or view our leaflet: Home birth - why not? (PDF 42Kb)
Semi caseload team
This team see around 360 women each year. These midwives offer all-round midwifery care, including antenatal classes.
Acacia team (postcodes: SE16, SE8, SE4)
Chestnut team (postcode: SE1)
Postnatal clinics take place in:
- Stockwell Children's Centre, Combemere Road SW9 - Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, from 9am-5pm
- Mawbey Borough Health Centre, 39 Wilcox Close SW8 - Thursdays from 2-5pm
- Clapham Manor Children's Centre, 1 Beaumont Close, SW4 - Wednesdays from 9am-12 noon
- Springfield Health Centre, 110 Union Road, SW8 - Thursdays from 2-4pm.
Consultants working in the community
The community service is led by midwives. However, a number of consultants run antenatal clinics in the community. For further information, see the antenatal clinic page.