Respiratory physiotherapy outpatient service
Your appointment may be:
How to get an appointment
You can ask your GP or other health professional to refer you.
Changing or cancelling your appointment
Phone: 020 7188 5094
Email: [email protected]
Please let us know as soon as possible if you need to change or cancel your appointment. If you do not attend without telling us, we may discharge you back to the person who referred you.
Please call 020 7188 5089 if you need to speak to a physiotherapist about your appointment. Use this number you've been unwell recently and are not sure if you should attend your appointment.
Before your appointment
You may have to do a walking test, so please wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
Please arrive on time. If you are late, we may not be able to see you.
Your appointment will last up to 1 hour.
- a list of any medicines you take
- devices you have been given to help clear your phlegm or sputum (not nebuliser machines)
During your appointment
We'll ask you to complete some short questionnaires at your first appointment. Please let us know if you would like any help with this.
Your physiotherapist will:
- ask questions about how your breathing condition affects your everyday life
- offer treatment for your symptoms and explain how to manage them
- check the level of fitness you need for your usual activities and offer treatment and advice to maintain the best level of activity for you
We're a teaching hospital and students might be involved in your care. The students are supervised by qualified staff and it is valuable training for them. It does not affect the quality of your treatment but please tell us if you do not want them to be there. We'll always respect your wishes.
After your appointment
Your physiotherapist will discuss with you the best way to manage your problem. This can include:
- advice on how to manage your condition at home
- a course of 1-to-1 physiotherapy
- referral for a course of group exercise and education