Coronavirus: patient appliances update
In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, please read our advice and information before attending the service
- 8.45am-3pm Mondays and Thursdays.
St Thomas' Hospital:
- 8.45am-3pm Tuesdays and Fridays
- we run a Lane Fox Clinics on Wednesdays at St Thomas' Hospital, 9am-4.30pm.
Changing or cancelling your appointment
Please use the relevant contacts at the top of the page if you need to change or cancel your appointment. Please tell us as soon as possible so that we can give your appointment to another patient.
Before your appointment
As we hold clinics at both hospitals, please check the correct location before you set out.
- any old appliances (if you have any)
- sensible footwear for adaptation (not slip-ons)
- sensible spare footwear.
At your appointment
Your first appointment usually takes 15 minutes to one hour. In more complex situations, where we need to take a plaster cast mould (casting), it could be longer.
Your orthotist (a person who measures, designs, fits and services orthotics) will take your medical history and details. You will then be assessed for a suitable appliance. We fit and provide appliances such as:
- footwear and insoles
- surgical stockings
- fabric supports and collars
- more complex orthotics.
- you may need further appointments if your appliance is made to measure or for example, if your shoes need modification
- some appliances may be available from stock, such as knee braces, wrist braces and abdominal belts. For others, such as surgical stockings and corsets, you may need to pay a prescription charge
- you will be given both verbal and written manufacturer instructions.
After your appointment
The orthotist will give you guidance on your orthosis and how to care for it. Reviews will be arranged as necessary. When appropriate, your orthotist will liaise with your referrer to keep them informed of how your orthotic therapy is progressing.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call us 020 7188 6483 or 020 7188 6477.