How do I get an appointment?
We accept referrals from a range of healthcare professionals in Lambeth and Southwark. We accept some patients out of the local area if referred by one of our consultants.
Before your appointment
Your appointment may last up to one hour, so please allow this amount of time for your visit. Please arrive on time. If you are late, we may not be able to see you, as this can cause delays for patients who have appointments after you.
Please bring a list of any medicines you are taking.
Please wear suitable clothing as the physiotherapist may carry out a physical examination.
If you are unable to make your way to the hospital for your appointment, please call our hospital transport service on 020 7188 2888 (tell them you are coming to the older person's assessment unit).
You can bring a relative or friend with you to your appointment.
Cancelling or changing an appointment
Please give us at least 24 hours notice if you need to cancel or change your appointment, by calling us on 020 7188 2091.
If you do not come to your appointment and haven't contacted us, we may discharge you back to your referring doctor.
What to expect at your appointment
The physiotherapist will:
- assess how your problem is affecting your life and your ability to carry out your usual activities
- ask lots of questions and complete a mobility and balance assessment, which includes watching how you move
- explain how to manage your symptoms, contribute to your own recovery and limit the impact on your daily living activities.
As this is a teaching hospital, students supervised by qualified staff might be involved in your care. It is valuable training for students and does not affect the quality of your treatment in any way, but please tell us if you do not want them to be present or involved. We will always respect your wishes.
After your appointment
The physiotherapist will discuss with you the best way to manage your problem. You may be:
- given advice on how to manage your condition at home
- started on a course of individual physiotherapy
- referred to a physiotherapy exercise group and information class as appropriate to you.
For all physiotherapy leaflets, please see the physiotherapy patient leaflets page.