The respiratory physiotherapy outpatient service works together with patients and their carers to provide high quality respiratory care and support to the residents of Lambeth and Southwark.
We provide assessment and treatment to optimise breathing, lung function and physical activity alongside advice and information on how to manage your condition and symptoms. It is important that we work together with you to produce a treatment plan that is meaningful to you and your lifestyle, whilst living with your lung condition.
We offer initial consultations and treatment for patients with a variety of lung conditions and breathing complaints, including:
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- altered/dysfunctional breathing patterns
- chronic cough
We aim to provide all patients with expert assessment and evidence based treatment plans by specialist physiotherapists. Possible treatment and management options that you will be offered include:
- airway clearance techniques – to help remove phlegm from the lungs
- breathing pattern re-training, control and management – to help manage and assist with breathlessness caused by altered breathing patterns
- activity and exercise programmes and advice – to promote fitness and lifestyle changes
- support, advice and information to develop your knowledge, skills and confidence to effectively manage your symptoms.
Our physiotherapists have highly specialist knowledge, clinical experience and postgraduate education. They are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council, are members of our professional body, the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, as well as specialist clinical interest groups and societies in respiratory care. They are supported to maintain and continue their professional development and have regular appraisals.