Emergency Scientific and Medical Services (ESMS) – formerly the medical toxicology information service (MTIS) – provides emergency clinical trial service and medical information to many of the leading pharmaceutical companies, including several global contracts across 80 countries in 40 languages. The office is manned 24/7, 365 days a year.
Described by the MHRA as "a centre of excellence" and providing "a superior service", ESMS provide 24/7 information services for the following areas:
- clinical trials
- medical information
- veterinary poisons information service (VPIS).
Please note this department does not provide poisons information services to the NHS.
- If you're a member of the public and have questions about poisoning or overdose, contact NHS 111.
- If you're a healthcare professional and need emergency advice, please access TOXBASE or contact the National Poisons Information Service using the telephone number listed on TOXBASE and in the BNF.
Also, please note that this department does not see patients. Patients may be referred to the clinical toxicology service, which is not part of MTIS.
Emergency scientific and medical services (ESMS)
ESMS provides the private sector and NHS organisations with a 24 hour emergency telephone response service. The services provided include:
- clinical trials emergency unblinding
- medical information for marketed products
- emergency medical response
- adverse event management and reporting.
Veterinary poisons information service (VPIS)
This is a subscription service which delivers information and specialist advice by telephone 24/7 to veterinary professionals on the treatment of poisoned animals.