About the stone unit
Our stone unit is one of the largest in the country.
We have our own dedicated operating theatre for patients with stones, which is used five days a week. We treat patients with:
- all types of kidney and ureteric stones
- strictures of the ureter (narrowings of the tube that links the kidneys with the bladder)
- upper tract transitional cell carcinoma (TCC). This is a type of cancer that is found on the inside lining of the kidneys and ureters.
The unit has:
- a dedicated operating theatre with integrated imaging facilities
- a Storz Modulith Lithotriptor
- outpatient clinic facilities
- a deputy clinical nurse specialist
- state-of-the-art equipment, including rigid and flexible ureteroscopes and a holmium laser for breaking stones.
The unit also has an active research programme and a research fellow specifically for stone disease.