5th floor, Borough Wing
Great Maze Pond
London SE1 9RT
Tel: 020 7188 8838
Ward sister: Katie Cunningham
Download the Patience Ward map (PDF 44Kb)
Directions: from the main entrance, turn right at main reception and enter Borough Wing. Take the lift to the 5th floor and follow signs to Patience Ward.
Patience Ward specialises in looking after patients who have kidney related conditions.
- Number of beds: 17 beds including a day case area and dialysis area. You will be cared for in single sex bays.
- Please let us know as soon as possible if you have any special needs while in hospital such as a special diet or for when you leave, eg if you need transport or for social services to be arranged or restarted.
- If you need a 'fitness for work' certificate covering your stay in hospital, please ask your nurse. You will need to ask your GP if you need one after you have left hospital.
Information for visitors
Visiting hours are 2pm-8pm, with no more than two visitors per patient at one time.
To reduce the risk of infection on the ward:
- please do not sit on the beds
- please do not bring young children on to the ward
- please use the hand gel provided at the main doors.
You can use your mobile phone on the ward, but please remember that other patients may be resting or asleep. Please make sure that it is kept on silent mode at all times.
Your care on the ward
Our welcome pack
We provide more information about your stay in our welcome pack. This contains a welcome booklet, which explains what to expect during your stay and what will happen on the day you are ready to leave hospital.
It also includes things to help make your stay as comfortable as possible, such as ear plugs, an eye mask, hand wipes, toothpaste, a toothbrush and non-slip socks.
You will be seen every day between 9am and 11am. At the weekend you may be cared for by another kidney doctor in the team.
The Meeting your ward team page gives more information about the general ward routine.
- Breakfast: 7.30am-7.45am
- Lunch: 12 noon-1pm
- Dinner: 6pm
We have a 'protected mealtime' policy between 12 noon-1pm and 6pm-7pm so you can eat without being interrupted.
Hot drinks are always available, please ask your nurse. Our catering assistant will also do a tea round in the morning and in the afternoon.
See your meals for more information.
Facilities on the ward
There is a large day room with a TV for you and your visitors to use. Please respect the area and keep it clean.
The Hospedia service by your bed offers a radio that you can use free of charge and a television, which you have to pay for. It also offers a telephone.
There is a shop on the ground floor selling newspapers, magazines and toiletries.
Tell us what you think
We hope your stay is as pleasant as possible. If you or any of your visitors have a question or compliment or concern, please: