We a distinguished centre of clinical excellence for all aspects of colorectal disease, including:
- inflammatory bowel disease
- recurrent and locally advance colorectal cancer surgery
- colorectal cancer diagnoses and surgery
- anal cancer surgery
- pelvic floor assessment and treatment
- benign anorectal disease
- stoma care
- family history cancer screening.
We are a national referral centre for complex colorectal disease and provide a full range of services to the local community.
The colorectal unit works closely with the medical gastroenterology and the colorectal surgical team. Physicians, surgeons, nurses and other allied health professionals work closely to provide a holistic and caring service. The team strives for excellence in caring for this group of patients with complex and often embarrassing problems.
The team has a strong focus on multi-disciplinary education and research in all aspects of colorectal disease with close links to King’s College and London Southbank University. Our research and specialist interests are listed below:
- investigation into the quality of life for sufferers of faecal incontinence
- assessment of bowel function following fistula surgery
- surgical reconstruction and function following protectomy
- topical management of Crohn’s Disease
- biofeedback techniques (such as rectal irrigation and anal stimulation for faecal incontinence)
- enhanced recovery for colorectal surgery to reduce length of stay by allowing safe discharge sooner after surgery
- comparing physiological and ultrasonographic techniques in assessing the pelvic floor.