About the programme
The south-east London healthy weight programme is an adult weight management service for complex needs associated with severe obesity and is delivered by our nutrition and dietetics department.
There is a choice of two 12-month, group-based programmes: balance and fast.
The programmes are delivered online using the Blue Jeans video platform (PDF 535Kb), you will need access to the internet and a device such as a laptop or iPad with a video and microphone installed.
Both programmes provide:
- review by our medical obesity service
- physical activity sessions led by a specialist and tailored to each patient's fitness and mobility
- support from a clinical psychologist with the option of one-to-one and group support
- evening and weekday groups
- access to ongoing support via the OVIVA app, a closed virtual advice smartphone app
- access to our online support community and more resources on the HealthUnlocked app and website.
Balance includes nutrition education alongside behaviour change, mindful eating, goal setting, psychology and physical activity.
There are 12 group sessions over the course of a year and six drop-in sessions, with follow-ups at 18 and 24 months.
Fast is a 12-month total meal replacement programme for more substantial, quicker weight loss.
Participants consume 800 calories a day for three months under medical supervision, followed by the gradual reintroduction of healthy eating in months four to six and then follow-ups for the next six months.
Fast also includes nutrition education, behaviour change, mindful eating, setting goals, psychology and physical activity. There are 15 group sessions in the first year, with follow-ups at 18 and 24 months.
If you are registered with a GP in south-east London and are interested in joining the healthy weight programme, contact your GP to find out if you are eligible.
We accept referrals for patients who:
- are over 18
- have a BMI above 40, or above 35 with type 2 diabetes
- are registered with a GP in Bexley, Bromley, Lambeth, Lewisham or Southwark
Patients need to have access to the internet and a device such as a laptop or iPad with a video and microphone installed.
We do not accept referrals for patients who:
- are pregnant
- have previously failed to complete a tier 3 programme
- are receiving cancer treatment, palliative or end-of-life care.
GPs and practice nurses
Referrals must be sent via e-RS. To find the service on e-RS select 'Dietetics' as the specialty, 'Weight Management' as the clinic type and 'SEL Tier 3 Healthy Weight Programme' as the service name.
The referral form can be found on EMIS or DXS and is entitled 'Tier 3 Healthy Weight Programme Referral Form (South East London)'.
Other healthcare professionals
Other healthcare professionals can email email@example.com to request a copy of the South-east London tier 3 referral form.
Our preferred referral route is from a GP or practice nurse as the patient can choose an initial assessment appointment through e-RS.