Andrology is a specialist area involving men's health such as fertility issues and sexual dysfunction.
Our andrology and genito-urethral reconstruction unit provides specialist services for patients in Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham. It’s also a national tertiary referral centre.
The unit is one of the largest in London with two dedicated consultant specialists, a senior specialist nurse, a senior andrology and reconstructive surgery fellow and a deanery appointed specialist registrar offering a range of procedures including:
- penile prosthesis surgery
- genital reconstructive surgery including skin grating
- buccal mucosal graft urethroplasty and hypospadias surgery
- a full range of procedures for complex Peyronie’s disease
- fertility preservation for men with cancer including onco-microTESE
- microsurgical procedures for patients with male factor infertility including sperm retrieval (microTESE).
We run a service with operative lists three days a week, as well as a regional out of hours service for andrological emergencies.
The unit has:
- specialist day surgery and 24 hour stay facilities for andrological patients
- specialist outpatient clinic facilities
- specialist penile rehabilitation and erectile dysfunction clinics
- specialist regional clinics for urethroplasty, complex andrology, sickle cell disease and Kleinfelter’s syndrome
- joint infertility clinics with the Assisted Conception Unit (ACU) at Guy's Hospital
- state-of-the-art equipment, including an operating microscope for microsurgical treatment of male factor infertility.
The unit also has an active andrological research program with the Guy’s Andrology Research Unit (GARU), with a dedicated research nurse and fellow.