The functional, reconstructive and, adolescent unit at Guy’s and St Thomas’ provides specialist care for patients with disorders of the bladder and urethra. Our unit is one of the largest in London with three specialist consultants, three specialist nurses and a clinical scientist offering a tertiary referral service. We have strong links with colleagues working in the gynaecology, colorectal, paediatric urology and pain departments to jointly manage more complex patients. We offer expertise in the investigation and treatment of a range of conditions, including:
- overactive bladder
- female stress urinary incontinence
- male post-prostatectomy incontinence
- congenital urological disorders
- incontinence and bladder problems due to neurological conditions eg multiple sclerosis, spina bifida
- ureteric injury/strictures requiring reconstruction
- urethral diverticulum
- urinary tract fistulae
- synthetic mesh and vaginal tape complications
- female urinary retention
- bladder pain syndrome/interstitial cystitis
- urinary tract infections
- complex lower urinary tract symptoms.
We are a busy service with operating lists two-three days a week. We run specialist continence and botox clinics, and we perform standard and video urodyanmics. We also offer multi-disciplinary pelvic floor (with colorectal and urogynaecology), neurostimulation/pain and young-onset urology clinics jointly with consultant colleagues form other specialities. Our surgeons offer a range of procedures including:
- sacral neuromodulation
- TVT/TOT (urethral tape or sling procedures)
- autologous rectus fascial slings
- artificial urinary sphincter surgery
- male slings
- reconstructive surgery including augmentation ileocystoplasty, ureteric reconstruction, neobladder and mitrofanoff channel formation, and ileal conduit urinary diversion
- revision surgery for mesh complications
- surgery for vesico-vaginal, uretero-vaginal fistulae and urethral diverticulum.
Our unit also has an active teaching and research programme, with dedicated scientists and research fellows involved in a number of clinical and scientific research projects. We are also an active research trial centre involved in a number of commercial and non-commercial clinical trials.