Directions: from the main entrance, turn right past main reception and turn right into Borough Wing. Take the lift to the 9th floor. Limited access is also available during the day via the 2nd floor entrance. Follow signs to Borough Wing and take the lift to 9th floor.
Dorcas Ward specialises in looking after thoracic (lung and chest) surgery patients.
- number of beds: 28
- staff: five consultants, a ward sister, deputy ward sisters, 29 staff nurses, two housekeeping assistants.
Information for visitors
- Visiting hours are 9am - 1pm and 3.30pm - 8.30pm, with no more than three visitors per patient at one time.
- To reduce the risk of infections, please do not sit on the beds.
- For the same reason, cut flowers are not allowed on the ward.
- You can use your mobile phone on the ward, but please respect other patients while using it, especially when they may be asleep. Please make sure that it is kept on silent mode at all times.
Your care on Dorcas Ward
Our welcome pack
We provide more information about your stay in our welcome pack. This contains a welcome booklet, which explains what to expect during your stay and what will happen on the day you are ready to leave hospital.
It also includes things to help make your stay as comfortable as possible, such as ear plugs, an eye mask, hand wipes, toothpaste, a toothbrush and non-slip socks.
Ward rounds generally start at 8am. The meeting your ward team page gives more information about the general ward routine.
- breakfast: 8am
- lunch: 12 noon
- dinner: 6pm
We have a 'protected mealtime' policy between 12noon - 12.30pm and 6pm - 6.30pm, so you can eat without being interrupted.
Hot drinks are always available from the tea trolley, in the corridor opposite the kitchen. This is free for patients, but we ask visitors to make a small donation. Our catering assistant will also do a tea round in the morning and in the afternoon.
See our meals page for more information.
Facilities on the ward
There is a day room for you and your visitors to use. Please respect the area and keep it clean.
The Hospedia service by your bed offers a radio that you can use for free and a television, which you have to pay for. It also offers a telephone.
Tell us what you think
We hope your stay is as pleasant as possible. If you or any of your visitors have a question or compliment or concern, please: