Coronavirus: Lane Fox Unit update
In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, please read our advice and information before attending the service.
- from main entrance, turn right at main reception, then take the first left into North Wing
- continue straight ahead into South Wing corridor and go past Shepherd Hall restaurant until you reach staircase C - the Lane Fox Respiratory Service is opposite.
Information for day patients (outpatients)
We run a number of different clinics from Monday to Thursday, weekly to monthly (depending on the clinic):
- ventilation clinic
- joint cardio-respiratory neuromuscular clinic
- rehabilitation clinic
- orthotic clinic
- mask review clinic
- medical aviation clinic.
All our clinics are held at the Lane Fox Respiratory Service at St Thomas'. For more information, please call 020 7188 3431.
Cancelling or changing your appointment
To cancel or change an appointment, please contact our reception on 020 7188 3431.
What to expect at your appointment
You'll be seen by a consultant and may also be seen by other healthcare professionals.
Medical specialists in training may sit in on consultations, with your consent.
You may be asked if you'd like to take part in clinical research, but this is optional and your care will not be affected if you say no.
After your appointment
New and follow up letters are sent to the doctor who referred to and you'll also receive a copy.
If you do not want to receive a copy please let us know.
If you have any questions after your appointment, please contact the unit secretariat on 020 7188 6115 / 020 7188 3449 or 020 7188 7727.
Information for patients staying in the unit (inpatients)
When you arrive
Lane Fox is a respiratory unit. When you arrive:
- a nurse will take a brief history and make sure we have your correct contact details
- a doctor will take your medical history and examine you. This may involve taking a blood sample. If other tests are needed, they will be explained to you
- your nurse will swab various parts of your skin to check for MSRA. This is done for every patient when they arrive and it helps to prevent and control infections in our hospitals.
Number of beds: 14
Ward rounds: daily ward rounds start at 9am. You will be given a named nurse at the start of every shift, which run from 7.45am-8.15pm and 7.45pm-8.15am. Each nurse looks after two patients, depending on their needs.
The meeting your ward team page gives more information about the general ward routine.
- Breakfast: 8-9am
- Lunch: 12 noon-1pm
- Dinner: 6-7pm
There is a tea trolley in the reception area, which you and your visitors are welcome to use. Hot and cold drinks are served mid-morning and afternoon and early evening.
See our meals page for more information on mealtimes.
Facilities on the ward
- The Hospedia service by your bed offers a radio that you can use for free and a television, which you have to pay for. It also offers a telephone. Headphones must be used as many patients are monitored and ventilated and audible alarms would not be heard
- There is a washing machine for patients' clothing. Please provide your own washing powder.
- The Lane Fox Respiratory Unit Patients' Association has provided a garden for patients and staff. For security reasons, the entrance is kept locked. If you wish to use the garden, please ask a member of staff to open it for you
- A fridge is available for you – please make sure all foods are labelled with your name and date for safety reasons.
- You can use your mobile phone on the ward, but please respect other patients while using it, especially when they may be asleep. Please keep your mobile on silent mode.