Coronavirus: palliative care service update
Due to the increased demand on the hospital from the COVID-19 pandemic we are having to make changes to our services. Please see below for more information.
We will contact all patients with a future scheduled outpatient appointment to confirm that it will now be a telephone consultation. If we need to cancel or reschedule your appointment we will inform you via telephone and inform the doctor or nurse who referred you to the service.
If you have not heard from us within three days of your scheduled appointment, please contact us by calling 020 7188 4754. Our phone lines are very busy and there may be a wait for your call to be answered. Please leave a message and we will aim to call you back within 48 hours.
If you are an existing patient who has previously been seen by our service and need advice from the clinical team, please see below for our contact details.
- For appointment enquires or clinical advice, please call us on 020 7188 4754, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm. For out of hours and weekends, please call us on 020 7188 2255. We aim to respond to all telephone messages within one working day but in this exceptional time it may take up to 48 hours. We aim to respond to all calls received on a Friday by the following Monday.
- If your call is urgent, and you cannot wait for a response from us, please call 111 or if very urgent call 999.
See our frequently asked questions (FAQs) page for further information.
We are doing everything we can to support GPs and patients during the COVID-19 pandemic. Whilst we have streamlined our community and hospital services to prioritise the most symptomatic and urgent reviews, we are available for advice to all healthcare professionals.
- all new and existing palliative care outpatient clinic referrals will now be telephone consultations and not face-to-face until further notice
- we continue to accept new palliative care community team referrals for patients living in the north of Lambeth and Southwark. Assessment and follow-up will be by telephone where possible but face-to-face when needed
If you need advice from our clinical team, please contact the palliative care reception who will transfer your call:
- 020 7188 4754, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
- 020 7188 7188, Saturday and Sunday please contact the on-call palliative care service via switch board
Please complete the referral form.
Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQs) page for common questions we have been receiving.
The palliative care team gives specialist information and supportive care to people facing serious illness. This includes symptom control and advance care planning. We recognise that emotional, spiritual, family and financial worries can be just as important as physical problems and we support with these aspects of care as well.
Our palliative and end of life care team includes specialist nurses and doctors, pharmacists, social workers, psychological support staff and administrative staff to help you cope with the consequences of serious illnesses such as cancer and long-term health conditions. We are able to see patients in hospital, in their own home, and in our outpatient clinics.
We work closely with GPs, hospital doctors and community nurses, as well as other local hospitals and hospices, to support our patients and those important to them.