Learning disability community health team
How to get an appointment
To get an appointment you need to fill in a form with some information and send it to our team. This is called a referral. You can:
- refer yourself
- ask a family member or friend to refer you
- ask your GP or another health professional to refer you
- ask your school or college to refer you
- ask your social worker to refer you
Changing or cancelling your appointment
- Lewisham team phone: 020 3989 0550
- Lambeth and Southwark team phone: 020 3049 7518
- Email: [email protected]
Before your appointment
Our therapist or nurse will phone you and explain what will happen at your appointment.
If you have a hospital passport please bring it to your first appointment.
During your appointment
Your appointment will be in your home or another place in the community. This could include your college or day centre.
Appointments can be:
If your appointment is a video call, we'll tell you how to join.
Appointments usually last between 30 and 60 minutes, but they can be longer.
If you are having an appointment with a physiotherapist, they might:
- look at how you walk, sit and stand, and make a plan with you to help you walk and sit more comfortably
- look at the way you breathe, and help you to breathe more easily
- help you to swallow more easily
- help you to recover from falling and show you how to avoid falling again
The team will complete an assessment and develop a programme for you.
If you're coming for a rebound therapy appointment, you will use a trampoline for exercise and therapy. We may use gym balls, hoops and other pieces of equipment while on the trampoline to do:
Your rebound therapy session will last 45 minutes. Please arrive at least 5 minutes before your session.
We may ask you if it is ok for a student to take part in your appointment. You don't have to agree to this if you don't want to.
After your appointment
We'll tell you what is going to happen after your appointment and if we'll need to see you again.
We'll write to your GP to tell them what we have agreed.
Please ask us any questions you have about your care.